My dad tells me that everytime im done trying my impala that I have to unhook the battery because the battery is going to just drain. He says this is normal. But it doesnt to me. Who is correct? Thanks.
Battery should hold a charge for weeks on end. You have something that is drawing current after the ignition switch is turned off. Either someone has installed an accessory like a stereo that isn't going through the fuse box or you have a short somewhere in your wiring (not uncommon in an old car since these where among the first to have plastic PVC insulation on the wires and copper work hardens gets brittle and cracks causing the remaining strands to carry a heavier load resulting in more heat that breaks down the insulation).
If it is a properly fused wiring problem you can find it by removing one fuse per night until you discover you have a fully charged battery in the morning. The last fuse removed will indicate what circuit is having issues and you can trace and test components with a multi-meter and a circuit diagram.
I'm with Big Dave. If you don't have a short, drain or other problem the battery should hold a good charge for weeks, even months. I started my 57 Chevy @ a month ago. The battery was in the car without being hooked to a charger or tender since I put it away for the winter last October. With a lot of gas pedal pumping, but no charger it started.
might add that this is a recent problem.but now that you say it i think ive figured it out.we have been restoring the interior.The dash needs to be painted so the glove box is out. So it most likely is the glove box light then.