3Likes
  • 1 Post By 67 Sedan
  • 1 Post By maybe368
  • 1 Post By wk2hons

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Engine won't turn over

On my 67 Impala the engine won't turn over at all. When I turn the key all the way to start nothing, but the volt gauge pegs the needle back to zero volts. All accesories work. battery and starter are good. The car was starting and running fine, then all of a sudden this happened. please advise. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 08:36 AM

Check the simple things first. Check and clean the Battery Terminals.

Also could be the Starter. Have someone turn the key for you while you are under the car and at the same time, hit the Starter with a hammer. If you have a 6 cylinder you can reach it from under the hood.

It also could be a bad connection somewhere as well as a bad Key Switch.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 09:51 AM

Do you have an HEI distributor? Check the ignition module. I've had a few crap out while driving on previous cars, and it's instantaneous - engine stops running while everything else still works.

1968 Impala SS
496 Stroker
T56 Conversion
3.73 Posi-Trac

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes I do have an HEI distributor. How do I check it. If I unplug the Battery terminal and put a volt meter on that lead and a ground and have someone turn the key to start, will that tell me anything? I'm good with mechanical stuff but not on weird electrical problems. Any advise would be greatly helpful. Thanks.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 01:43 PM

In addition to what was said above the first ting I would do is to check to see if the engine turns over by hand. You may have blown a head gasket resulting in a cylinder hydro-locked by being full of coolant.

The starter motor has enough torque to bend a rod or break a cast iron crank trying to start a hydro-locked engine.

If you can not move it by hand remove the spark plugs and get help looking for coolant coming out of the spark plug hole as you turn the crank by hand. That will tell you what head has to be removed first.

Big Dave
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, but I don't think it is a blown head gasket. I drove the car recently into the garage and every thing was fine.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wk2hons View Post
Yes I do have an HEI distributor. How do I check it. If I unplug the Battery terminal and put a volt meter on that lead and a ground and have someone turn the key to start, will that tell me anything? I'm good with mechanical stuff but not on weird electrical problems. Any advise would be greatly helpful. Thanks.
https://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref5.html

1968 Impala SS
496 Stroker
T56 Conversion
3.73 Posi-Trac
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 03:20 PM

Check your neutral safety switch.
62BillT likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The neutral safety switch was bypassed on this car, and when I put in a floor shifter I ran the back up lights from a switch in the floor shifter.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 10:50 PM

I have a no crank condition on my '68 ss. I went through all of the possibilities and it turned out to be badly rusted/corroded surfaces on all of the fuse holder contacts. I also pulled the main connection of the engine compartment wiring harness on the firewall, driver's side. I couldn't believe it, I live in Phoenix...Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Better pic of rust.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	23388  
62BillT likes this.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ignition Switch

On my 67 Impala all my accessories work when I turn the key to on, but when I turn it to start (nothing no sound at all). But when I turn the key to start I see the volt gauge peg to zero volts, and an indicator light on my floor shifter goes out. That light on the floor shifter is wired to be on when the ignition is on. I took the coil out of the top of the HEI distributor and tested it with an ohm meter. Putting the leads from the battery (red wire) to the center where the carbon electrode is, I get no reading which means an open circuit. So I ordered a new one and see what that does. This car is super clean, new battery and high torque starter motor. Does anyone think this could be a bad ignition switch as well? It is a new 350 engine that I put in last year, has been starting and running great. This problem came about all of a sudden without any other symptoms.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 07:58 AM

If your turning the key and not even hearing the engagement solenoid on the starter engage the gear to the flywheel it is most likely an ignition switch problem or wire issue to your starter ignition problem. If your headers are routed close to the starter and you don't have a heat shield or something to protect it you may have burnt up the solenoid on the starter. If it doesn't pick up, it won't let the starter motor work. This is to protect your flywheel cause if the starter gear was already spinning when it tried to engage the flywheel pieces would tend to come off the gears.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for every ones input. But I hate to admit it. I had been working under the dash removing the nuts on the brake power booster and I knocked an ignition wire loose.
62BillT likes this.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 01:48 PM

Neutral safety bypass jumper came loose, didnít it? Admit it! Glad all is better now.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hate to admit but was true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page