starter problem 1964 ss - Impala Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

starter problem 1964 ss

When I try to start the car it just makes a grinding noise. I have replaced the starter and it worked fine for about 10 starts then did the same thing. I have taken the starter off and put back on and sometimes it helps sometime nothing changed still grinds on the flexplate. There are no starter shim between the starter and the block as it seems the starter is not close enough to the flexplate as it is. The bendix i believe that what its called sometimes even stay stuck against the flexplate sometimes. I have tried to turn the motor over with a socket on the balancer to give the starter new teeth to grab and 9 out of 10 times it still just grinds. Any help will be greatly appreciated. The flexplate looks old but the teeth dont really look worn. When it does start the car it seams very smooth so not like it has a wrong tooth flexplate but maybe? Is that even a possibility? It came off a 327 original for the car and I built a 383. I told the parts place it was a 350 so I think it should be okay. Keep in mind the old starter did the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 06:36 PM

The starter has to be checked with the bendix removed by inserting a standard (not a mini or a jumbo) paper clip wire into the gap between the teeth of the bendix and the flex plate. If the tooth of the bendix doesn't touch the paper clip it needs to be shimmed out (shim on the out-side of the block away from the crank). If the tooth will not allow the paperclip to move (binds) then the shim goes on the inside or near the block to provide a little extra room. If it fits as it should the tooth should just barley touch the wire and allow you to move it around.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 07:31 PM

the approved GM method is to remove the solenoid and spring from the starter, then, manually engage the Bendix gear to the ring gear. Using a paper clip, unbent to fit between the teeth of both the ring gear and Bendix gear, shim to get no interference between the gears and paper clip.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys... It was as simple as a cross bolt style starter when a straight across style was needed. The block would take both and the cross bolt size would work about a third of the time. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page