These Are The Most Powerful Engines - Impala Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising & general shop BS

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Big Dave
  • 1 Post By Big Dave

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

These Are The Most Powerful Engines

From the little, two-cylinder Fiat 500 to the W16 Bugatti Chiron, these are the most powerful vehicles by the number of cylinders they have.
Not all engines are created equal. In addition to generating vastly different amounts of power, engineers have a wide array of choices to match a vehicle's intended use, like a little parallel twin for a city car or a highly complicated W16 for an all-out hypercar. If you ever wonder what the most powerful automobile for a given number of cylinders is, then this list provides the answer.

For the sake of fair comparisons, we don't include hybrids on this list because their electric boost skews the results too much. For example, the Mercedes-Benz Project One's 1.6-liter V6 with four-electric motors reportedly makes 1,100 hp (820 kW), which would give it a dominating lead.

Also, these engines are in production automobiles that are currently available. In many cases, there are previously available powerplants, tuned models, or existing motorcycle mills that would win the categories.

Last edited by Big Dave; 06-30-2019 at 11:46 AM. Reason: SPAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2019, 11:44 AM

Maybe to an Indian kid living in beautiful downtown Noida, found in the in the Uttar Pradesh region of the Indian sub continent: but No!

There are many more powerful engines based upon displacement that those and they are all American made. Chevy's off the shelf 427 big block ran against the best that Ferrari, or Porsche or Fiat could produce in the seven liter races. The Ford GT was banned for competition because Ferrari complained he couldn't keep up. Most German power houses are shared across the Audi, Benz, Porsche fleet (as well as found in many super cars); and American production cars make a similar level of of power with smaller displacements (Just look at the LS-x powered cars), 600 hundred horse is nothing today.

Most horsepower per cube look at a F1 Indy car. Four horsepower per cubic inch and growing in power (though they do not burn gas and have bigger superchargers than engines).

Big Dave
badrad likes this.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

thanks

Old 07-01-2019, 07:08 AM

I din't even include NHRA top fuel motors that make 22 horsepower per cubic inch (11,000 horse power out of only 500 cubic inches) because they only run for four seconds at full power. An F1 car runs for six hours at full power (19,000 RPM) before it is rebuilt. It will cover 100,000 KM in the two races it is entered in (8 engines per 20 races per year by the rule book). It cranks out 5.1 horsepower per cube from a 2.4 liter V-8 engine. Idles at 5,000 RPM so it won't do very well in a car on the street; but then again neither would a top fuel engine.

I limit myself to about 750 horsepower on the street as you can not control a car while driving with any more. But Americans like a challenge. Gas is cheap and power is plentiful. Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear fame (who owned and drove a Ford GT40 on London's streets) believes that American cars are too brutish and unsophisticated for his European tastes, even if they can make more power and have a higher top speed.

You can have all the power in the world, but if you can not keep a car on the road, or put that power to the ground it is useless. So you can keep your 1.2 to 3.6 liter motors. In America life begins at five liters and grows bigger and bigger from there.

Big Dave
Old 07-01-2019, 07:26 AM

Friend of mine just finished his build on a Z06 Corvette. Has a 6.0 liter LS engine with a pro charger and methanol injection. When he turns the meth on it can put 1000 HP to the ground at the rear wheels. Did I mention as long as the forecast doesn't call for rain he drives to back and forth to work getting around 23 miles per gallon in the city and 26 on the highway. Also he really can't use first gear anymore as with even a 1/4 throttle it roasts the rear street slicks.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:54 PM
BA.

What a coincidence, sounds like my friend in Ft Meyers area , FL.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
Old 07-02-2019, 10:20 AM

Garage
I just wanna add this that LS engine, which is still OHV, is capable of outpowering those fancy engines without added maintenance cost. W16 that was mentioned is a maintenance nightmare and simple oil change will set you back $20-$25 THOUSAND dollars. So yeah, keep the fancy crap and give me a good ol Chevy.

That being said, do you even own an Impala or are you here just to troll?
Old 07-02-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
That being said, do you even own an Impala or are you here just to troll?
I removed the link to what the Spamer was selling. I just couldn't let the insult he posted pass without comment.

Kind of like who threw the first punch in th space station bar when the Kligon insulted the Enterprise in the "Trouble with Tribbles" episode.

Big Dave
67SS likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in