66 Impala Front Spring Replacement - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

66 Impala Front Spring Replacement

I am restoring a 66 Impala convertible, doing a frame off restoration. I am in the process of installing the front springs. How should the spring be positioned in the frame seat and lower control arm? There is a hole in the frame just below the upper arm. Should the end of the spring cover this hole or should the hole be open?

I have the 1966 Chassis Service Manual, however, all it states is "Set the spring in place on the crossmember after checking on proper positioning necessary." Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 08:07 PM

the end of the coil should be turned until it buts up against a lump or stopper in the locating area of the crossmember and same in the A arm, but some lowered springs aren't exactly the right amount of coils so get the position right in the crossmember, and it should sit o.k. in the A arm, that hole I think is a just a water drain hole,
dave
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

66 Front Springs

Thanks for the responce. The springs are stock station wagon springs. I postion the lower end of the spring against the end stop in the lower control arm. Doing this leaves the end of the top spring about a 1/2" away from the stop in the crossmember. The hole is probably about 1/4" to 3/8" of inch from the end stop in the crossmember. I believe the hole is used to gauge the location of the end of the spring.

In rear spring cross member has a similar hole and the service manual indicated the top spring should be 3/8" ahead of the hole. However, for the fromt springs, the service manula does not say anything about the hole in the cross member.

Based on your recommnedation I should position the top of the spring against the cross member stop. This will cover the hole and the bottom spring end will be about 1/2" to 3/4" from the lower control arn end stop.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 07:58 PM

I located the bottom end of the FRONT coils against the stopper in the the A arm. not the crossmember. I had to go and have a look to check, sorry for the confusion.
The top end of the coil sat about half way from the stopper up in the crossmember on both sides.
(same as yours) this doesn't seem to cause any problems though.
I can't see that it would make any difference, but others may disagree ?
I didn't pay that much attention to where the originals front coils located up top, but they were 1/2 a coil longer so I guess they located near the stopper in the crossmember also. The hole ? don't know, I assumed a drain hole but a locating hole makes sense.
I'll check my chassis manual again.
the REAR coils only locate against a stopper up in the chassis, so you can't go wrong there.
dave

Last edited by 69427; 06-24-2006 at 08:37 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

66 Front Springs

Thanks Dave.

I tried this afternoon positioning the front springs with top end of the spring located about 1/4" to 3/8" from the cross member stop. This put the end of the spring right at the hole in the cross member. However, the end of the bottom spring end is about 1 1/4" from the the lower control arm stop.

I figure as you stated, the new spring is configured different from the original spring. I am not sure which way to position the spring, at the top stop of bottom stop. Maybe it doesn't matter.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Impalabrl; 06-24-2006 at 09:12 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 09:11 PM

mmm, I'm not exactly 100% sure myself and I can't find any other info on line about this,

I didn't have any problems locating it at the A arm stop, I don't think it realy matters because your going to be short at one end or the other right?

but maybe wait to see if anyone else as a different view ?
dave

Last edited by 69427; 06-24-2006 at 10:18 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Yes, it is going to be short either on top or bottom.

Since you have not had any problems, I will probably go ahead locate it using the A arm stop, I will see if anyone else replies over night.

Also, your comments regarding the rear springs is what I found. I have the rear springs installed already.

Thanks for your help, I really appricaie it!

Brian
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 09:21 PM

no problem Brian

see if "big dave" has an opinion on this one ?

cheers
dave
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

66 Impala Front Springs

Just to close the loop on this tread, I contacted Moog springs. They recommended positioning the ends of the spring an equal distance from the stop in the Lower Control arm, and from the end stop in the frame cross member.

Dave, since you have had no problems with your car it must not make a difference. Thanks again for the help.

Brian
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 05:28 PM

Stock Springs

Were these stock replacements or lowering springs? I've got a 65 that I'd like to drop a little in the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page