Impala vs. Biscayne - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Impala vs. Biscayne

As some of you know, I picked up a free '66 Impala last fall. To say this car is rough is an understatement. I recently sold another car that will help fund the Impala build. Itís gonna take a lot of time and money. Time I got, money, not so much.

So hereís my question; I recently fell upon a í66 Biscayne, (CHEAP!) that is in WAY better condition than my Impala; Hell, the doors open and close better then on my 2000 Trooper! If I choose to forego the Impala and buy to build the Biscayne, are there many differences in the parts and availability for the Biscayne? It seems that the Biscayne needs most of the same parts as the Impala except not the entire floor from firewall to rear bumper. It just needs a patch panel or two and the lower quarters, not the full pieces.

Since the Impala is a plain Jane, Iím not feeling a real need to stick with it and I really dig the Biscayne; I guess thatís the childhood drag racer in me. I'm actually thinking 'sleeper'...

So is the Biscayne a car worthy of working over like this? It may not need to be a frame off job, but Iíll prolly end up going that route just be sure I hit everything the first time through.

Iím very open to thoughts here.

Thanks folks,
Vance

Watch for updates starting soon in my blog here ~ http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1588
And on my own website ~ http://www.violentlee.com/biscayne.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 08:35 PM

I was thinking they are the same cars, just different trim and trunk lid. I did a rusty chevelle, it is always worse than it looks and time consuming. Go with the better body.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 08:50 PM

They are all the same car except there are differences in trim that separate the Biscayne from Impala and the from Caprice. You can take your biscuit if it is in better physical condition and make it into an Impala (or a Caprice) by bolting on trim from a donor vehicle or a repop house. The 1958-'65 cars had different trunks because they punched out a third round light for an Impala or Caprice that the Bel Aire or Biscayne didn't get; but with square lights the number of trim bezels in the plastic light distinguished the model (more bling higher priced model).

Big Dave

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Ok, you two have me confused. The roofline on the'66 Impala and the '66 Biscayne look different to me. The Impala is more of a fastback style whereas the roof of the Biscayne isn't. Or am I just crazy?

Is all the sheet metal, i.e. quarters and doors the same? What about the interior parts like seats and sail panels?

Watch for updates starting soon in my blog here ~ http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1588
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 11:10 PM

You have to compare the same body styles. They made five different b-bodies styles in 1966.

Two door sedan
Four door sedan
Two door Sport coupe
Two door convertible
Four Door station wagon.

So if the two bodies are different models (trim tag can be decoded to see what you have) then no the parts will not interchange directly.

Big Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; 08-20-2009 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Thinking sedan but typed 2 dr hard top
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 11:32 PM

I checked out your Impala pictures just to make sure that we are talking 2-Door cars. If they were 4-Doors, especially if they were both Sedans, everything would be exactly the same as far as sheet metal goes, but with the Impala Sport Coupe vs the Biscayne, the Roof, Doors, Glass, and Trunk Lid size, will be different. Also the Rear Seat and Rear Side Panels will be different in size as well as being a different style. Also there is just about no Biscayne specific parts offered reproduced, but that would not stop me from fixing one. The 2-Door Biscayne is very much in demand car. Keeping it all original would be ideal, but it is a car that many people like to drop a Big Block, 4-Speed in. Will be looking forward to see some pictures of it.

Bill
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 03:29 AM

I have a 4 door sedan Biscuit and LOVE it! I (personally) like the Biscayne lights better, at least on my 67'. I think the single red and single clear lights give it a cleaner more old school racer look.

66' Impala coupe

66' Biscayne

67' Impala

67' Biscayne (mine hehe)

Just sucks finding replacement lenses lol. If you have all the body parts to fix your impala, then you might want to do that or sell all the body parts that won't fit the Biscuit. Honestly, I've never seen a Biscayne with the sloped roof line like the Impala. They called it a 2dr sedan

These are an interesting read:
http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z...-Biscayne.aspx
http://www.oldride.com/library/1966_..._biscayne.html

Last edited by RamAirZ; 08-20-2009 at 03:48 AM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 09:11 PM

And they made a 4 door sport sedan, I have one.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 09:40 PM

i'll take a post car over the impala any day.
the basic car is the same, just different(less) trim.
most anything you need for the biscayne/belairs can be found, ebay etc.
interior parts, seat covers, door panels are harder to find.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 10:57 PM

What's the difference in a 4 door sport sedan and a 4 door sedan? The pics I saw look the same. I like my post car My 69' ponty was a 2dr post car
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 08:16 AM

Dallas,

A 4-Door Sedan has posts. A 4-Door Sport Sedan has no posts. "Sport Sedan" is a term that GM used. I wish they just called them "Hard Tops".

Bill
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69belair View Post
i'll take a post car over the impala any day.
the basic car is the same, just different(less) trim.

So there is no more confusion, on a 4-Door Sedan car, yes. On a 2-Door car, no (refer back to my earlier post).

Also we cannot compare the two on 4-Door Hardtop cars as, in '66, there is no such thing as a non-Impala Hard Top (as well as 2-Door cars).

Bill
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 02:23 PM

dave
are you sure about a 2 door hard-top biscayne, I was almost positive you could only get a 2 dr in biscayne with the post ?
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Well, either way, I brought the Biscayne home today. It's the new project. I'll be looking at dumping the Impala parts that aren't interchangeable. So if you want anything off a '66 2 door sport coupe Impala that won't go on a Biscayne, just PM me.

Photos of the Biscayne to come soon.

Vance

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 07:05 PM

Sweet!!!! I think you'll be happier with this one
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 08:10 PM

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62BillT View Post
I checked out your Impala pictures just to make sure that we are talking 2-Door cars. If they were 4-Doors, especially if they were both Sedans, everything would be exactly the same as far as sheet metal goes, but with the Impala Sport Coupe vs the Biscayne, the Roof, Doors, Glass, and Trunk Lid size, will be different. Also the Rear Seat and Rear Side Panels will be different in size as well as being a different style. Also there is just about no Biscayne specific parts offered reproduced, but that would not stop me from fixing one. The 2-Door Biscayne is very much in demand car. Keeping it all original would be ideal, but it is a car that many people like to drop a Big Block, 4-Speed in. Will be looking forward to see some pictures of it.

Bill
Anyone got any info as to the differences with the rear seats? I noticed on my Biscayne, it's got two different size 6X9 type speaker holes in the package shelf. Does this mean that the Biscayne doesn't have the speaker grille in the rear seat?

I gotta start making a swap meet/junk yard list for these types of things that can only be found at those places.

Thanks guy.
Vance

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 12:57 PM

Right, no speaker in the seat like an Impala has. But there is nothing wrong with good quality speakers on the Package Tray. They will actually sound better.

Bill
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 03:20 PM

yup, I have seats with a speaker opening in my Biscayne now, the originals were solid all the way across but I won't be using a speaker in there lol. I have some 6x9's mounted in the tray but will be redoing that when my new shelf goes in. 2dr seats are also narrower than 4dr's and the bottom has slightly different mounting to it.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

So, correct me if I'm wrong, the rear seat out of my '66 Impala 2-door sport coupe will fit in my '66 Biscayne 2-door... I hope so, because I didn't get the rear seat with the Biscayne. Yeah, the upholstery on the Impala seats is thrashed, but the frames are good.

Is there a source for door and quarter window channels? All the soft material in all the channels are shot and will need to be replaced. I'm a long way from that point, but I like to not have to fret over where to get stuff when I do need it. That and my memory sucks so I have to make lists for this kinda stuff.

post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 07:55 AM

A side note...When looking for a 65 to buy, I found that Biscayne 2 dr
post cars where bringing the most money.

Donnie - Fl
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 10:34 AM

On my 64 wagon conversion, snooping around the Imapla SS, Belair 2dr, and my wagon. The seats in the SS and Post car are different and side panels are also, however I believe the Impala seats will fit but you will need to use the Impala side panels as fillers with some modification for the post areas. Try test fitting your Impala stuff in the BA. Floor pans, door size all match just the outside skins changed.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
The seats in the SS and Post car are different and side panels are also,
This is something I was curious about since trying to find interior parts for a Biscayne is like trying to find hen's teeth. I was particularly wondering about width of the Biscayne seat relative to an Impala seat. I swapped my front bench seat for buckets out of an SS, but kept the factory rear seat. My plan was to order an upholstery set for an SS and have a trim shop modify the rear seat upholstery to fit. It would seem to be a cheaper and easier alternative than having a cover custom made.
BTW, I hope your door panels are in good shape as repo panels are non existent in the aftermarket for a Biscayne. When I inquired with a few companies about having mine recovered, I think they didn't hear me say Chevrolet Biscayne. I think they heard vintage Ferrari and priced accordingly.

1967 Biscayne 2 dr. w/427, Turbo 400(changing to TKO600) and 12 bolt w/4.56's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page