Removing the starter on a 63 Impala - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Removing the starter on a 63 Impala

As GM built them, was the OEM starter removable without taking down the 2 1/2" exhaust pipe on 300 hp 327 63 Impala's that had that size exhaust manifold and pipe?

I am replacing the 2" exhaust pipes and manifolds with 2 1/2" ones and there appears to be no viable path to route the 2 1/2" exhaust pipe and NOT block the starter removal. To be totally honest, I'm not at all sure I could remove the starter with the 2" pipes. I have not tried. The only time I removed the starter on a 63 Impala v8, it was almost 50 years ago and the car had a 283 w/single exhaust.

If I must block the starter, I can add a take down joint in the exhaust pipe.

Thanks in advance.

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 03:33 PM

It is a tight fit at times but with the positive battery cable disconnected from the battery so as that nothing is hot it can be done. It gets even tighter with headers which is why mini starters are growing in popularity.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
It is a tight fit at times but with the positive battery cable disconnected from the battery so as that nothing is hot it can be done. It gets even tighter with headers which is why mini starters are growing in popularity.

Big Dave

Everything I've been able to compile so far makes me believe the first few inches of exhaust pipe runs straight down from the manifold. Is that correct?

After turning rearward, does the exhaust pipe run totally below the starter (in the horizontal plane)? Also, does it run directly under, right, or left of the axis of the starter before it has to turn outward under the frame?

I hesitate running the exhaust pipe too close to the starter due to concerns of over heating and malfunction. Is that a real concern?

Some pics, or sketches/drawings would be very helpful. I did not find anything useful in the Assembly Manual, or the Shop Manuals (63 sup, or 61).

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 08:31 PM

You can take your car to an exhaust muffler shop or just your wallet. Once there you can have them bend up a header pipe to fit your car's body using the factory bends that moved the pipe to the out side of the starter before diving down under the car. They have the information of where to place the bends and how much of an angle and or offset to fit your car. They can also bell the end of the pipe to hit the stock exhaust donut gasket.

Big Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page