Car Hauler - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Car Hauler

Has anyone carried a 1964 or similar sized Impala on a car trailer and what size was the trailer?

Just some random picture of the internet...

-
1964 Impala
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 11:42 PM

You have a 119" Wheel base so basically 10 feet. This means you need at least 11' - 12' feet of track length to your trailer. The front of the car can overhang the front of the trailer as the rear can over hang the back. Just have to look for Jack wads riding up under the rear of the car in tow cause they want a short life. I'm picking up a 16 foot heavy equipment trailer for mine. You definitely will want trailer brakes and preferably electronic. Also you need dual axle as it helps to minimize tongue weight. Last, but not least balance is the key. You want the trailer a little tongue heavy, but not so bad that it is dropping the rear of your truck 8 inches.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 10:17 AM

Yes a properly designed and built trailer will carry a car safely without you being even aware it is behind you (but luckily you have big West Coast mirrors on your one ton tow truck to monitor your load). Notice how I worked in combined gross vehicle weight?

Your tow vehicle has to be rated for the load you want to carry. A one ton truck has a combined GVW of 10,000 pounds with a 5,600 pounds of that in the truck, and figuring 1,300 to 1,600 pounds of the GVW in the empty trailer weight that only leaves about 3,000 pounds for a vehicle if you are depending upon the tow truck to provide all of the braking. With functioning trailer brakes (electric or self contained hydraulic) you can double that tare weight.

Talking about design: trailer wheels and tires often limit your GVW as a tandem (dual) axle wheel and tire can only hold 6,400 pounds of weight (3,200 pounds per axle) maximum at 45 mph. They are speed limited (six to ten ply side walls that overheat if run faster at full weight). To get a trailer that can carry a car or light truck you need a three axle trailer which will track straighter, but scrub at slow speed while making tight turns.

Of course if you are towing with a another car you are unsafe at any speed.

Funniest thing I ever saw was a little TOYota truck trying to tow a 24 foot power boat on a triple axle trailer with the boat sitting on top of the compact truck (rated at 2,200 pound payload). His 84 horsepower motor could pull it, but the truck lacked enough mass to control the weight of the combined GVW. The boat and trailer just pushed him off the road and into a ditch when he tried to make a sharp left hand turn.

Big Dave

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The picture above is just a random picture off the internet.

I'm going to be towing with a BMW X5 rated at 7,000 lbs and 700 lbs tongue weight. I am towing across the whole country, so a lot of mile (about 2800). I'm guessing at 1,500 lb trailer and 3,500 lbs for the car.

But this is a one off trip and I don't want the trailer afterwards so I need to balance out the cost benefit. My current plan is to buy a trailer and sell it afterwards. U-Haul rental for the trip is $900 so as long as I don't lose more than that on buying and reselling the trailer I'm doing good.

-
1964 Impala
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 07:11 PM

16 foot car trailer with dual 3500lb axles and trailer brakes.

1967 Chevrolet Impala SS convertible - Ermine White C1
1967 Chevrolet Impala SS 396 - Marina Blue FF
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 07:16 PM
Team Member

I had recent experience with this. I rented the Uhaul tow trailer (NOT the front wheel dolly) and towed home my '68 convertible with no issues. Loading it on the trailer was completely unnerving but other than that it was a piece of cake. The rental was $180.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Attach4445_20180115_090114_1517616900621.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	19890  

1968 Impala SS
496 Stroker
T56 Conversion
3.73 Posi-Trac
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogSS View Post
16 foot car trailer with dual 3500lb axles and trailer brakes.
Thats what my trailer is. Ive towed several cars behind my 2500 Silverado including my 66 Impala and a 71 Buick Electra.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swooshdave View Post
The picture above is just a random picture off the internet.

I'm going to be towing with a BMW X5 rated at 7,000 lbs and 700 lbs tongue weight. I am towing across the whole country, so a lot of mile (about 2800). I'm guessing at 1,500 lb trailer and 3,500 lbs for the car.

But this is a one off trip and I don't want the trailer afterwards so I need to balance out the cost benefit. My current plan is to buy a trailer and sell it afterwards. U-Haul rental for the trip is $900 so as long as I don't lose more than that on buying and reselling the trailer I'm doing good.
You may want to consider having a carrier actually move your car. Unfortunately once you put that car on a trailer behind your BMW the insurance policy on it reverts to that of the BMW. At best case they will pay you what the car appraised at last if you had an appraisal, otherwise you won't get paid collector value. You put it on a carrier you tell them how much you want the car insured for. I got pricing to move a 63 Impala Convertible from Las Vegas, NV to Grand Rapids, MI and prices are coming in around $700 to $800 on an open carrier. Document the pick up condition and the arrival condition with a video camera. Even though I am going to pick up my trailer from the same spot as I am shipping my car I am choosing to use a carrier to protect my vehicle.

Also if you use the common surge brake U-Haul uses it adds a lot of tongue weight and not all u-hauls know how to set them up properly for towing.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadwolf View Post
You may want to consider having a carrier actually move your car. Unfortunately once you put that car on a trailer behind your BMW the insurance policy on it reverts to that of the BMW. At best case they will pay you what the car appraised at last if you had an appraisal, otherwise you won't get paid collector value. You put it on a carrier you tell them how much you want the car insured for. I got pricing to move a 63 Impala Convertible from Las Vegas, NV to Grand Rapids, MI and prices are coming in around $700 to $800 on an open carrier. Document the pick up condition and the arrival condition with a video camera. Even though I am going to pick up my trailer from the same spot as I am shipping my car I am choosing to use a carrier to protect my vehicle.

Also if you use the common surge brake U-Haul uses it adds a lot of tongue weight and not all u-hauls know how to set them up properly for towing.
Actually my State Farm Insurance agent pointed out that without a rider on my truck insurance my truck had no insurance what so ever if I was involved in a wreck while towing anything ( a case of the small print taketh away) . He pointed out that I should really have read all seventeen pages of my insurance contract with a magnifying glass before I signed it. I was just thankful I found out before I had an accident, as it wasn't that much to insure my truck and trailer (nothing on the load or any car I was hauling; as that required another policy).

If I owned a box truck (which I did for a while) and drove a car inside of it, that would have been covered, but not if I had an empty trailer towed behind the box truck as that once again negates the policy without a rider.

Kind of like if you have AAA and you need a tow. The AAA wrecker will eventually show up to tow your car: but they will leave any trailer you have on the side of the road unless you buy a rider for the trailer (called an RV policy) which allows you to have a Class A camper bus hauled off by a semi wrecker for only $37 bucks more a year.

I have discovered that I never break down next to a repair shop, but instead in the middle of Death Valley. So I added the 100 mile towing packaged to my RV add on package for a AAA RV+ that allows anything I drive to be hauled up to a hundred miles.

Big Dave
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadwolf View Post

Actually my State Farm Insurance agent pointed out that without a rider on my truck insurance my truck had no insurance what so ever if I was involved in a wreck while towing anything ( a case of the small print taketh away) . He pointed out that I should really have read all seventeen pages of my insurance contract with a magnifying glass before I signed it. I was just thankfully I found out before I had an accident, as it wasn't that much to insure my truck and trailer (nothing on the load or any car I was hauling; as that required another policy).

If I owned a box truck (which I did for a while) and drove a car inside of it, that would have been covered, but not if I had an empty trailer towed behind the box truck as that once again negates the policy without a rider.

Kind of like if you have AAA and you need a tow. The AAA wrecker will eventually show up to tow your car: but they will leave any trailer you have on the side of the road unless you had already purchased a rider for the trailer (called an RV package) which allows you to have up to and including a Class A camper bus hauled off by a semi wrecker for only $37 bucks more a year.

I have discovered that I never break down next to a repair shop when out driving around the country, but instead in the middle of Death Valley. So I added the 100 mile towing packaged to my RV add on package for a AAA RV+ that allows anything I drive to be hauled up to a hundred miles.

Big Dave
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 11:52 PM

I agree with Deadwolf. If the car is any kind of finished condition, a professional enclosed hauler would be the way to go.
I know you aren't using Uhaul, but they from what I understand, they won't rent you a car trailer unless the truck was a 3/4 ton truck or larger.

1967 Chevrolet Impala SS convertible - Ermine White C1
1967 Chevrolet Impala SS 396 - Marina Blue FF
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogSS View Post
I agree with Deadwolf. If the car is any kind of finished condition, a professional enclosed hauler would be the way to go.
I know you aren't using Uhaul, but they from what I understand, they won't rent you a car trailer unless the truck was a 3/4 ton truck or larger.
Uhaul is a worse case scenario for me.

Good notes on the insurance, I'll make sure the car and trailer is covered.

I carry the upgraded AAA so it will cover my bikes. I'll make sure it covers me here too.

The car carrier service will be about the same as the UHaul option. Maybe more. But I'll keep that in mind.

I want to drive the car back but my brother swears it won't make it. It's a 54 year old car, what could possibly go wrong?

-
1964 Impala
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page