First Set Of Mods For The 1965 Impala SS - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

 2Likes
  • 1 Post By japete92
  • 1 Post By marsmann
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: 1,000 Miles From Nowhere
Posts: 10
 
First Set Of Mods For The 1965 Impala SS

Last week I completed my first set of mods for my 1965 Impala SS.

When I brought it home the car sat kind of high and I wanted some more modern looking wheels.

This is how it looked when I brought it home.







This is what it looks like after I put some more modern looking Foose Knuckles on it and QA1 Coilovers all around.










Let me know what you think.
PaleHorse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 286
 
Garage
Looks great man.
67SS is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: virginia
Posts: 354
 
Looked better before.

You asked.
62BillT likes this.
japete92 is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:10 PM
BA.
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Miamisburg, Oh.
Posts: 3,169
Blog Entries: 15
 
You made a really great choice on those wheels man. Your ride looks great. I'm so tired of chrome TorqueThrust II's.

My stance is about the same in front now as yours but I need some tweaking or extra -camber as I get a rub on the lip at tight turns.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
BA. is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Moneta, VA
Posts: 834
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by japete92 View Post
Looked better before.

You asked.

I agree.

The first two pictures look great.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
62BillT is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 09:32 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,489
 
Wheels and tires along with how loud your exhaust is, is a personal choice. Ride height and originality versus modification is another contentious issue. You will never please all of those you meet. It is your car, so please yourself!

Big Dave
Big Dave is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 98
 
You guys are lucky! Every one of these I have owned always sits like it is already lowered and I have to struggle to get them back up at least to where pic #1 and #2 show. Usually the tired springs are enough for it to sag. I never have the problem of it 'sitting too high'.

I just installed cargo coils in the rear on my 66 just to get 'er back up again. Thankfully I have an inch and a half gain for now until it settles and no worries of bottoming out.

Your car looks good. I dig the garage it sits in too! I too prefer the before look but as Big Dave said basically different strokes for different folks. Your current look is definitely resto-mod style. Just make sure after the coil over install you had it aligned as it will be off with swapping parts as I am sure you are aware and most likely already handled.
marsmann is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:52 PM
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Renton, Wa.
Posts: 18
 
Garage
I prefer the "stock" look myself. However you've done a great job on yours! I pretty much appreciate them all and if everyone made them look the same, it would be pretty boring.


I've owned this one for 36 years. Kept it all stock except for a TH-350 and a little "beef up" of the original 327. They are all fun!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Impala65.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	22184  
arks65 is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Moneta, VA
Posts: 834
 
Just curious on another issue. Those who have "permanently" lowered cars, aren't y'all always scraping bottom?

One good example was my '67 Impala. I bought it from the original owner when the car was about 16 years old. By then the original Springs were pretty much sagged out. I didn't like how it looked (personal thing and I understand), but I was always concerned about scraping bottom. I already had it in my plans to raise it back up but one day in a parking lot I scrapped bottom and said to myself, dang, I hope it didn't damage my oil pan. Here I am all ready to attend a family event and I'm under the car checking on it. Soon after I installed a new set of 396 Fronts Springs in it, bringing it up to about an inch over stock. Brought the back up about an inch more than the front.

Besides loving how it looked, I never hit bottom again, lol.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
62BillT is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:06 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,489
 
I personally drop a car to lower the center of gravity for cornering and handling (aka turning it into a TransAm racer). I stiffen the springs by doubling the stock spring rate so that the suspension has little to no give at low speeds. I didn't stick to the engine size restrictions in the rule book though. Like Smokey Yunik I never looked at rules as a restriction, but more as a guide.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/how-...tock-1967-z28/

If you ever saw one of my cars you would know I don't do it for looks as they often have different colored sheet metal parts and I never wash the car. It does corner like a slot car and accelerate like a rocket.

Compared to the Millennium Falcon it didn't look like much, but it could embarrass a lot of the cars I met which annoyed those who bought their SS, Boss, Hemi toys at the dealership.

Big Dave
Big Dave is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 98
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62BillT View Post
Just curious on another issue. Those who have "permanently" lowered cars, aren't y'all always scraping bottom?

One good example was my '67 Impala. I bought it from the original owner when the car was about 16 years old. By then the original Springs were pretty much sagged out. I didn't like how it looked (personal thing and I understand), but I was always concerned about scraping bottom. I already had it in my plans to raise it back up but one day in a parking lot I scrapped bottom and said to myself, dang, I hope it didn't damage my oil pan. Here I am all ready to attend a family event and I'm under the car checking on it. Soon after I installed a new set of 396 Fronts Springs in it, bringing it up to about an inch over stock. Brought the back up about an inch more than the front.

Besides loving how it looked, I never hit bottom again, lol.
The 'stance' of a lowered car looks cool but this is the main reason I don't like to drop them. I come from the days when we jacked up the rear and had rake so I am particular to that look but I agree when they are low I am afraid of hitting something. My current 66 had the passender side exhaust that used to hang slightly lower than the trans pan and it would scrape on even mild inclines.

so I always wonder how guys get away with this.

Palehorse - question; is that hood stripe a decal or painted? I noticed it doesn't run over the top and rear trunk. I dig it.
62BillT likes this.
marsmann is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: 1,000 Miles From Nowhere
Posts: 10
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsmann View Post
The 'stance' of a lowered car looks cool but this is the main reason I don't like to drop them. I come from the days when we jacked up the rear and had rake so I am particular to that look but I agree when they are low I am afraid of hitting something. My current 66 had the passender side exhaust that used to hang slightly lower than the trans pan and it would scrape on even mild inclines.

so I always wonder how guys get away with this.

Palehorse - question; is that hood stripe a decal or painted? I noticed it doesn't run over the top and rear trunk. I dig it.

Its painted, I bought it like this.
PaleHorse is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: 1,000 Miles From Nowhere
Posts: 10
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsmann View Post
You guys are lucky! Every one of these I have owned always sits like it is already lowered and I have to struggle to get them back up at least to where pic #1 and #2 show. Usually the tired springs are enough for it to sag. I never have the problem of it 'sitting too high'.

I just installed cargo coils in the rear on my 66 just to get 'er back up again. Thankfully I have an inch and a half gain for now until it settles and no worries of bottoming out.

Your car looks good. I dig the garage it sits in too! I too prefer the before look but as Big Dave said basically different strokes for different folks. Your current look is definitely resto-mod style. Just make sure after the coil over install you had it aligned as it will be off with swapping parts as I am sure you are aware and most likely already handled.

Thank you, I love my man cave!
PaleHorse is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:35 PM
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3
 
looks great! Can I ask you your wheel and tire spec's and offset's/backspacing?. Did you lower suspension? Mine is so bagged out that I need to get it back up, but "just enough".

1965 Impala 2dr Hardtop 283 powerglide (ferociously Original)
Sylver is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome