BBC 396 Ex Manifold Gaskets & Hardware Kit - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

BBC 396 Ex Manifold Gaskets & Hardware Kit

Hi guys.

I am planning to remove the stock exhaust manifolds off of the 396. They are starting to show some rust discoloration so I want to remove them, clean them off and jet coat or most likely stove paint them to preserve them and look better. I will be machining the exhaust manifold as I know there are minor warps causing exhaust leaks to the heads. I don't use gaskets there but plan to ensure all mating surfaces are straight.

My question is do you guys know of a good complete kit out there with the various parts suppliers (classic industries, impala bob, etc.) that sells a nice hardware replacement kit? What I am looking for is possibly stainless steel studs for the manifolds and a good quality manifold ring (donut), nuts and bolts for when I go to reinstall everything. Basically a complete kit. I am certain something will break upon removal. I haven't found an entire kit yet and only found parts of what I need.

thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:08 AM

Likely the only bolt(s) that will break on removal is the 3 on each side where the exhaust pipe attaches. These engines really don't have issues with the bolts into the head breaking.

I think GM still sells the correct special bolt to hold the manifold to the head. It's special because it has shallower threads and I think it's a Grade 8 bolt as well.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:50 AM
Team Member

I have a set of factory BBC manifolds for my '68 396 I got off eBay and already sent to Jet Hot for ceramic coating if you're interested. No cracks, welding, etc. Let me know if you're interested. They have not been used since getting them back from Jet Hot.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:08 PM

Bolts (used or new) require new stakes to prevent them from backing off. Reproduction houses sell them.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/fast...at/179596/7953

Second you will need eight spark plug heat shields because the manifolds range in temp from 800 to 1,300 degrees; and your plug wires do not like that kind of heat (even high temp silicone rubber used on most aftermarket wires, but definitely not the stock wires).

https://www.4speedconversions.com/330840_r1.html

Finally there are two surfaces to deal with. The manifold and the surface of the head with the exhaust ports on it. Both have to be machined flat. Only then can you go without gaskets. Otherwise use the asbestos stainless steel gaskets packaged in most gasket sets for a rebuild.

Finally I use the same steel studs to mount the exhaust heat riser as every one else but the difference is I use yellow brass rusts to hold the assembly together. Brass will not corrode the way solid steel fasteners do in a hot wet environment, making taking the parts apart later a lot easier.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...make/chevrolet

As far as that goes unless you live in Nome, AK you don't really need an exhaust heat riser valve in your exhaust system. I recommend using a spacer instead.

https://picclick.com/1964-81-Chevrol...917611400.html

Big Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Great information guys. I really appreciate it.

My Internet and Google Kung-Fu never seems to work right for me when I try to look up parts online. Even when I go straight to the aftermarket company sites I never seem to find what I am looking for.

I'll get all the parts together and then tear into it. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page