70/71 Fuel Sending Unit - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Big Dave

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
70/71 Fuel Sending Unit

Was researching a new fuel sending unit for my 70 and came across something that sparked my interest.

Specifically the Spectra 105A (70) vs 106A (71).

I am going to do a Holley Sniper EFI kit with a return line. All the oem units like the 105A don't have the return line provision. Would have to take to a fabricator to make it work. But when I looked at the 106A for the 71, I noticed that it does the tthe return line provision.

Would these be interchangeable?

I know the tubes on the top bend slightly on the 105A and the 106A is straight.

I'm thinking that I would be able to use the 106A and possibly just have to shorten the tubes on the top.

1970 Impala Custom coupe
400ci SBC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 03:49 PM

Only cars with return line that I know of where the 396 with Rochester QuadraJet carb (325 horse variant). Not present with either the 350 horse 4160 series Holley or the 375 horse 4150 series Holley carbs. In 1971 it would be a 402 engine.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Even Spectra's website lists these.

For 70 with the 400ci, it lists the 105A. For the 71 with 400ci, it lists the 106A.

https://ecat.spectrapremium.com/products/FG105A

https://ecat.spectrapremium.com/products/FG106A

Either way, Would I be able to use the 106A? Possibly shorten the inlet and outlet tubes.

Or just easier to get the 105A and have them fab up the return inlet?

They do look slightly different but not sure how much the tank changed from 70 to 71.

Or is there another fuel sending unit that would drop in no problem with the return inlet?

1970 Impala Custom coupe
400ci SBC

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:09 PM

1965-'70 was one body style; 1971-'76 was another. Many changes in car body size and styling. 1971-'76 was the largest and heaviest that the B-body ever achieved. In 1977 the B-body shrank in weight and size down to A-body dimensions (1968-'74 size Chevelle body) to increase CAFE numbers (mileage).

Big Dave
FearlessAZ likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:29 PM
Team Member

You might want to double check that the "return line" looking thing on that sender isn't actually a vent or a tube for a vent fitting. Having a return line dump fuel that close to the pick - up seems suspect to me, which is why I say this. It will aerate the fuel being sent and will cause stall /hesitation.

Installing a proper return line in your tank isn't a big deal either. The holley EFI master kit comes with everything you need. You just want to make sure to get any and all metal shavings that result from drilling the hole. 9/16" hole, debur, get the shavings out, install the fittings, done.

1968 Impala SS
496 Stroker
T56 Conversion
3.73 Posi-Trac
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68WASAGOODYEAR View Post
You might want to double check that the "return line" looking thing on that sender isn't actually a vent or a tube for a vent fitting. Having a return line dump fuel that close to the pick - up seems suspect to me, which is why I say this. It will aerate the fuel being sent and will cause stall /hesitation.

Installing a proper return line in your tank isn't a big deal either. The holley EFI master kit comes with everything you need. You just want to make sure to get any and all metal shavings that result from drilling the hole. 9/16" hole, debur, get the shavings out, install the fittings, done.

I thought the same thing and that is what lead me to their website. They label it as an inlet so I can only imagine it is a return.

I bought the master kit but have yet to open it and go through it. But if it has all that, I will jsut stick with the 105A.

Really wish Holley made the in tank oem sending unit like they have on some of the other cars.

1970 Impala Custom coupe
400ci SBC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page