Looking For One Of These - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Looking For One Of These

Hello All,

As you know I'm doing little jobs to the 67 and found that I didn't have the spacer that goes behind my radio trim when I pulled it apart to repair the heater control the other day.
Its primary job is to stop the radio from rattling up and down, I think?

It looks like its made from alloy and is the shape of half a ping pong ball, if that helps........

Does any one know where I can get one from or does anyone have one they want to sell me?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash And Radio Spacer.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	22500  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 10:23 AM

Those parts were part of the radio (which was an option when your car was built). They were frequently tossed away when the owner bought a Emerson, Pioneer, Seiko, Hitachi, or other import radio to get a stereo FM cassette/eight track functions (carving holes to mount the speakers in the deck lid and inside car door skins to mount them). This is because the Jap radios used a different mounting kit with different knobs that wouldn't interchange with the original parts. Speakers were different OHM rating as well, in case you try and use them with a stock radio.

If you find a replacement Delco radio they should have those parts on the front when you buy it. It wasn't until the mid to late sixties that FM was even broadcast nation wide so a Delco AM-FM radio was rare and expensive.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Question Will This Do

Thanks BigDave,

I didn't have a radio in the car when I purchased it just a hole in the dash.
I fitted a Retro Sound unit and used large washers originally to hold the radio in place.
Now After looking in the assembly manual I have, I see that a proper spacer was used to central the radio shaft in the larger hole on the pasenger side and I think I'm wrong about it being made from alloy but it is made from pressed steel.

I believe some sort of "Fader" control could also be installed on some years?

I found that classic industries in Los Angeles sell one for the 61-62 year model for around $10 and wondered if it could be used for my 67?

https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...rts/kw108.html

I don't know if the whole in the dash would be the same or not, any ideas.

Thanks.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 07:48 PM

I do not know. Never tried to restore one. But a missing radio is to be expected unless you got a one owner cream puff; as kids, who bought these as a $250 to $400 used car, liked their music. (even if the Wolfman was off the AM radio waves in favor listening to Casey Kasem instead).

Parts like the spacer were standardized as to internal size but there were different trim parts used annually and the radiao dash plate and knobs were one of those items. Good news is it might have been a one year item on a Chevy but it would be used on a Pontiac, or Olds then the following year a Buick might use the same knobs. It would take an experienced GM parts man or a rare interchange manual to find the application and avaiability.

Don't count out repo houses as the Corvette trim pieces are nearly totally offered as restoration parts. So you might get lucky finding radio knobs and a radio looking on a dedicated 'vette site.

Big Dave
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Interchangeability

Yes BigDave,

I've been looking into what different models may have used them during the 60's.
Not only did the Impalas but also Gm Trucks around the same years and also Nova's in the later 60's and early 70's as well.

Found this on a Nova web site
https://www.novas.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34497
Shows the two spacers used on nova's for both sides.

Also found the fader used on 67 Chevrolet's
Sell 67 1967 Chevy Impala Belair fader control front to rear speaker contol motorcycle in Kingston, Washington, United States, for US $35.00

This one is of a complete 67 Impala radio with a fader fitted to the right side
Buy OEM 1967-68 IMPALA AM RADIO 68 Biscayne Caprice Bel Chevy 1968 67 motorcycle in Grand Rapids, Minnesota, US, for US $20.00

Will do some measuring and see if the Nova ones will do the job, if not will go for a fader unit perhaps.

Thanks.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Spacer

Me again,

Found this picture which illustrates what I'm looking for.
Hard to find one that still has the spacer installed as like BigDave says its usually the first thing to be discarded when a new and better stereo system is put in.

It also looks like the outside diameter is a standard size and the only variance between years is the different stamped holes they have around the radio shaft for the "Fader" accessory.

Probably won't get an original one so will have to improvise with possibly the 61-62 year one available from Classic Industries?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spacer For Radio Mount 1967 Impala.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	22506  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page