67 Impala Wiper switch - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

67 Impala Wiper switch

Ok. I was looking at the wiring diagram and watching a few you tube videos on testing the wiper motor but I have a question. I get how grounding the outer pins on the motor gives you the two speeds (and park). But where is the power coming from? Does power go to the switch and then from the switch to the motor? I have a wire going from the switch to the center pin on the motor. But is that sending power from the switch to the motor? And if so, where in the feed of power to the switch? I only have three wires on the back of the switch and they all lead to the three blades on the motor (center hot and the two outer grounds). I want to see if I need to get a new switch or not.

I was able to get the motor to turn the wipers by running a hot directly from the battery to the center blade on the motor. But nothing working from the switch.

Sounds like a bad switch. Canít find them online. Anyone know where to get one? Are they the same for the Chevelle? I found one for that car.

Thanks. And I did search, but nothing came back that looked like my problem.

Thanks, Dain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Bueller?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 06:50 PM

Hi,
I can't answer your questions, however I had a similar problem on my 66 Impala SS and after much research and testing found that the switch was loose in the dash, which is also the grounding for the motor. After cleaning the contact area and tightening it down the motor worked fine.You may want to make sure your switch is making a solid ground in the dash.

good luck

Rick

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMC1218 View Post
Hi,

I can't answer your questions, however I had a similar problem on my 66 Impala SS and after much research and testing found that the switch was loose in the dash, which is also the grounding for the motor. After cleaning the contact area and tightening it down the motor worked fine.You may want to make sure your switch is making a solid ground in the dash.

good luck

Rick

Thanks Rick. I was messing with that yesterday. It is good and tight on the dash. But I am going to test how well the dash is grounded by running a dedicated ground to it and see if it helps.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Well, if any one cares, I narrowed it down to the switch. I had a toggle switch in my tool chest and ran a line from the fuse block to it and grounds from a good spot to the two ground blades on the motor. Since I am running the switch through the power, I only have one speed. I chose high. So at least now I have wipers. When I get around to it, I will see about ordering the correct switch. I also donít have park either. But I am able to drive it without worrying about whether or not rain is in the forecast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page