Should I replace dealer installed A/C with vintage - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Should I replace dealer installed A/C with vintage

I am a new member, And this is my first post. I have a 1965 unrestored Impala super sport 396 4-speed 12 bolt car that is in very nice shape. The car has a dealer installed A/C system and I was wanting to upgrade to vintage air. Will the car be more valuable with the dealer installed A/C?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 06:05 PM

Welcome to the Team Ziggy!

A dealer installed knee knocker is no more valuable than Vintage air's same device. The factory in dash vents and three chamber mixing heat and air is infinitely more valuable and can be upgraded to newer R134 from the factory R12 by changing the expansion valve. With any A/C this old it will need new hoses and a new drier to blow cold air for another dozen years.

Big Dave
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 07:55 PM

I'll disagree. Period correct dealer installed AC will always be more desirable on an original car than modern AC.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

I would like to keep the car as original as possible, but I also would like working A/C. How difficult is it to rebuild the dealer installed A/C?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 11:35 AM

Depends upon who built it. Some used a York 8 10 cid twin piston compressor, and others used the Sanden 508 scroll compressor.

To find a replacement compressor that hasn't been built since 1982 you can read this article for donor cars. The York was used on AMC and Chrysler cars since 1958. Also under some Ford car hoods but those might have been dealer installed cars, as they were rare and usually didn't work (but then I only saw stuff people wanted fixed in my shop).

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/articl...h-compressors/

The Sanden is still made and sold today. It is what most aftermarket knee knockers use because it is cheaper than cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/i/332509909011?...yABEgJ4gPD_BwE

All will require new hoses, drier, new R134 refrigerant, a bottle of whale oil, and expansion valve at a minimum. Depending upon how well it was installed and maintained over the decades it might also need the thermal shut off valve and a new blower motor. Basically it will be cheaper to buy a new kit unless you are providing "free" labor yourself.

Big Dave
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 02:03 PM
BA.

If you were keeping the car mostly original at the engine, interior and suspension - and you care about resale value - I'd say keep the original A/C and do what it takes to make it work as new again. It's a good system.

If you did a "resto-mod' to the car, or plan to, like maybe adding Fuel Injection, or lowering it, updated suspension with aftermarket parts, updated engine with newer carb, headers, maybe cam, etc, well, then I'd vote for the Vintage Air. I can't say whether it technically blows colder or is more efficient - but it certainly cleans up the engine bay and makes it easier to work on under there too.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 12:45 PM

Garage
Plenty of (restored) cars crossed the line at Barret Jackson auction with Vintage Air(or similar) under the hood, it did not affect the value whatsoever.
I have both, original and classic air.
original A/C filled with R12 will work better than new units, however since we can't (legally) use R12 any longer people are converting to R134. Converted units do not work as well, and they are not as efficient as new units that are designed to work with R134.
I am planning on installing Classic Air in my unmolested 67 Impala SS.

Consider Classic Air, they have a slightly better unit than Vintage air.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
original A/C filled with R12 will work better than new units, however since we can't (legally) use R12 any longer people are converting to R134.
Not totally true. R-12 can be purchased and used by a licensed tech with the proper recycling tools. It can not be legally placed into a system that leaks in any way (such as old hoses that are porous to the gas), or old O-ring Schrader valve port or hose end fittings that leak. My brother gets 22 pound R-12 bottles of refrigerant for use in A/C equipped Caterpillars all the time. Laws still apply to Cat dealerships as they do at automotive dealerships. NO LEAKS!.

Quote:
Converted units do not work as well, and they are not as efficient as new units that are designed to work with R134.
This is a true statement as R12 and R-134 have different boiling points and points of condensation. They also have a triple point which requires more pressure than most older R-12 units can cope with. This is why older A/C systems never blow as cold when measured with a thermometer, but will still give you frost bite if your hand is held there long enough.

There is a reason that Chevrolet never offered A/C on a high performance car (anything with a solid lifter cam) after the 1964 production run. This is because warranty claims on older style piston driven (Harrison and Frigidaire A6 units) and a 327 or 409 with a solid cam where a recipe for a blown front seal. Computerized cars that today rev to six grand with a hydraulic roller have a sdensor in the ignition module that turns the compressor off as the RPM crosses four grand. Between 4,200 and 4,600 the ceramic front seal melts the rubber O-ring that it seals against as the motor revs, then you have no A/C and the compressor needs to be rebuilt. Something to keep in mind no matter which air conditioning unit you install.

Big Dave
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great advice. I think I’m going to try to rebuild what I have. If it becomes too involved or too expensive I will go with the Vintage Air unit.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

This is the unit if it makes any difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D2049753-4217-492A-8440-6E7390B0F13B_1577842711538.jpg (17.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 36E2BDE6-5260-46BC-BB0F-A290149F22D9_1577842742673.jpg (21.9 KB, 13 views)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 01:42 AM

That is a York twin piston compressor. Here is one brand new.

https://www.amazon.com/Compressor-Do...48890856&psc=1

and another that has been remanufactured:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b.../concord?pos=2

A company that will make new hoses to fit your system

https://coldhose.com/custom-hose/cus...l?options=cart

Big Dave
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page