fuel pump - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
fuel pump

I recently ordered a fuel pump for my 64 chevy impala with 283 engine. Wanted to make sure I got a good one, so picked out one off RockAuto, brand name Carter, about twice the price as the AC Delco and others. Well when received, noticed something never seen before on a chevy fuel pump, it has a third port, two threaded and the other made up high on the body and made for a hose to slip on.
Can anyone tell me more about what I have? Do I plug one of the threaded ports and use the fitting made for hose for one of the hook ups? If so which one to plug, the two threaded ports are labeled as ''in'' and the other as ''out'', but no marking on the third hose port. Is it for some kind of back flow or over flow? Lost on this one.

SOMEONE PLEASE ADVISE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 11:20 PM

Sounds like that pump is for the QuadraJet with a fuel by pass line (used on the 396). Carter makes a good fuel pump and carburetors for that matter, but I believe that is the wrong pump for your application. An A/C-Delco pump will work fine. A carburetored fuel pump is as simple as a spring (to pressurize the fuel and keep the arm on the eccentric), and a set of Reed valves, and a nitrlle rubber diaphragm inside a housing that bolts to your block. Not exactly rocket science, and hasn't changed since the horseless carriage.

By the way, if that is a BBC fuel pump it will bolt up; which is to say the bolt holes align: but the arm is all wrong, and will break the housing if you try and bolt it up.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the response Big Dave, just put back in the mail yesterday.
Actually, mine may not be that bad. Put in on there about three years ago, car set not running for almost two years. Recently decided to get it back up and going ''top notch''. Put new gas tank and sending unit on, inside of that other was SO rusted. Changed out all rubber lines, blew out main metal line from tank. Been running it couple times and cranking often. Running pretty good, but if sets for couple days, doesn't want to crank as well....little shot of gas in carb and cranks right up. From what had settled in that tank, can just imagine what inside of that pump looks like. Just that I'm changing out hoses and would be a good time to replace. Also had Rochester 2b rebuilt, inside side of it was ALSO nasty. I guess really most of all, I am just doing preventive maint. and its a simple item to change out while there working. Probably got too much time on my hands! Although, my big picture plan is that we're going to Crusin the Coast this fall and just replacing and checking everything out for the 350 mile trip.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 08:02 PM

Well what you ordered was a fuel pump that will work with both land and marine applications. That nipple up higher on the pump is a apart arrester that is used when using on a boat. If using on a car then you just ignore it and use it as like any other pump.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 08:04 PM

Typo. A spark arrester. There should be a paper in the box describing what to do with the extra line it would’ve worked just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page