65/70 Impala Frame Differences
Some info regarding the frames I ran into on Facebook.
Educational info. These frames are NOT all the same as some like to believe:
- 65-66 frames will interchange (including convertibles). Some minor differences ,but still interchangeable without having to do any modifications!
- 65-66 idler arm mounts from the top of the frame.
- 65-66 rear trailing arms are different from 67-70.
- 67-70 idler arm mounts from the side of the frame.
- 67-70 frames are NOT interchangeable with 65-66 without doing serious modifications!
- 69-70 frames don't have mounting holes for the rear bumper. They mount from the inside of the trunk!
- 65-70 rear ends interchange.
- 2 & 4 door frames are the same whether its from an Impala,Biscayne,Belair,Caprice, wagon, Super Sport or not!
Even though a hardtop frame will fit under a convertible. You shouldn't use one without proper reinforcement of the frame!!
If you need a convertible frame.You should use a convertible frame only!
Hardtop frames are 3 inches wide .
Wagons use the same frame as the 2 and 4dr cars!
Convertibles are 4 inches wide under the body section and have an extra body mount.
Might vary from year to year.
Only convertible frames are different.
Super Sports were only a trim and interior package.Had nothing to do with the frame or suspension. You could get a straight 6 in a SS!