Difference between a 1964 4 door cars - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Difference between a 1964 4 door cars

Hi, Im new to the forums, Can anyone tell me the difference in appearance between the 1964 four door hardtop and the 1864 four door sport couple, Any help would be much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 09:18 AM

You may find what you seek here:

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...-Chevrolet.pdf

First page is mostly blank; scroll down.

Pete
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Im not looking to reference every option, im looking at buying a 64 four door , i dont have access to the vin, i just need to know from outer appearance what are the differences, any info would be much appreciated

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 10:03 PM

On the site that Pete referred you to they have a color sales brochure picture of every car model. You have to select the model from whatever page shows up first to see the other models but it covers hard tops (aka Sport Coupes) and sedans (the car with B-pillar in the middle) and Station wagons which though most were four doors had a rare two door option; though usually it was coupled with a sedan delivery (no side glass behind the door), and the convertible which was a two door hard top with the hard top left off, that was replaced with a cloth top that folded up.

Four doors are cheaper to buy today because they are not sought after as much. That and because when these cars were new they accounted for better than seventy five per cent of the sales (the full size was a family car and dad hated to scrunch up so junior could squeeze past him to get in the back seat with a two door car). It was the family that demanded a four door (mom actually, and we all know how that will end up). As such there are more four doors left in the world to used as parts cars for a two door needing love.

Big Dave
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the in info, the reason i was asking as i might be able to get a 4 door body is in pretty good shape and interior is nice for around $700, Car doesnt have a title but i can get that.i dont and wont have access to vin until after i get car
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 02:37 AM

A car without a title is only good for parts. Even then if it is found on you property and it has been reported as stolen at some time in the past 50 years you will be arrested and the car seized. Cops have no sense of humor about having stolen property on your property even with a bill of sale.

Big Dave
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 12:36 PM

Many states have different rules on trying to obtain a Title, but here in Virginia, there is a way. To do it legally it takes a process with the DMV and part of that process includes that it needs to be proven that it was not stolen.

Although, myself, I would never buy a car of value that I wanted to fix and drive without one, if I lived in a state that requires one.

Many states don't after a certain age.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 10:23 AM

A title can be gotten, the thought process that not having one dooms the car to parts only is long gone. The difference you’re asking about is basically answered by there being a post between the front and rear doors going all the way to the roof (sedan) or a hardtop without that post (sport sedan)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 07:20 AM

The difference between a 4 door hardtop and a 4 door sedan is the hardtop has no post between the front drivers door glass and the rear door glass. While the 4 door sedan has a post between the glass. The hardtop was mostly for the Impala and SS models while the lower trim levels biscayne and belair would get the 4 door sedan body style.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in