Picked up for parts, but it got me thinking - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By japete92

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Picked up for parts, but it got me thinking

I picked up a 1963 4-door doing a little horse trading. The car has a title, the VIN plate there, but it is missing the cowl plate. The main thing I wanted out of it was all the AC parts to put in my 1963 Convertible. I got to looking under this thing though and the frame is nice and solid the inner rockers are solid, floor boards only need a couple patches. The trunk is the worse. The car currently has a 305 with a cracked block in it, but I have a 350 I could put together and drop in it. The power glide in the car is recently rebuilt. The car also has all the trim, some of it not installed, but it is all there. I'm thinking I might get this thing moving and make myself a rat rod. All the best pieces go to the convertible and whatever is left over goes on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2065.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	23232   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2070.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	23234   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2069.jpg
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	23236   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2071.jpg
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	23238  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 09:20 AM

It's always great to save another car.

Being a Hardtop is a plus.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 10:03 AM

Good luck to you.

I have my hands full with one; two would likely cost me my home.

Pete

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by japete92 View Post
Good luck to you.

I have my hands full with one; two would likely cost me my home.

Pete
That is part of the reason for 2 projects. The 63 Convertible is a labor of perfection with painful attention to detail. 63 Rat rod is more about making it work and keeping it on the road. You get frustrated with one method of thinking you move to the other till your ready to go back.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadwolf View Post
That is part of the reason for 2 projects. The 63 Convertible is a labor of perfection with painful attention to detail. 63 Rat rod is more about making it work and keeping it on the road. You get frustrated with one method of thinking you move to the other till your ready to go back.

Love the '63 rag top. Here's a pic of mine. I had one just like it that I bought in '68. I kept this 'new' one very 'true' to it's predecessor.

Appearance wise, it's a spittin' image. Drive train is a sbc 383 with 4 speed 'Muncie' (AutoGear M22W). I was aiming at the 'grunt' of the entry (340hp, single carb, hydraulic lifter) 409. Got 385 hp @ 5200 rpm, 440 lb-ft torque at 3800 rpm. I'm VERY happy.

Again, good luck to you on both.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0430.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	23244  
62BillT likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 09:10 PM
BA.

I'm only barely able to keep up with the demands of keeping 1 car on the road much less try to build a 2nd one!
I have a 2nd car that has only gotten new front suspension, quarter panels and paint in 29 years. Everything else (!) still needs to be reassembled......

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 10:15 AM

If you part that car out I’m inter in all of the 4door specific exterior trim.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Well it looks like this car will not be staying a 4 door. I picked up a 2 door hardtop body with most if not all of the 2 door specific trim. Now the bad news is I'm in the busy season for work which means I will be working 7 days a week 10 hours a day for the next 2-3 months, so I won't have time to do much. The 2 door body needs the floors to inner rockers, a quarter panel patch and the firewall/toe-board has some damage on the passenger side that needs addressed. I'm thinking though of just doing the rockers and quarter and then going pro street type build where the whole floor would be replaced with aluminum. Looking into doing a back half to get wider tires on the car, but due to the X frame design it would end up being a back 3/4 as you basically keep everything from just behind the front most body mount forward and the rest of it gets rebuilt as a standard dual rail custom frame.

Snoopy1, Once I get time I will probably start stripping and selling the 4 door specific parts. I've actually found they are in high demand, almost more so than 2 door parts. I think it has to do with all the 2 door parts are re-manufactured while no one is making the 4 door parts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 09:38 AM

Tax season one must assume. Don't lrt the pressure get to you.

Friend of mine is a CPA and tax lawyer that specializes in keeping millionaires from paying taxes. He suffered a major heart attack and nervous break down three years past. Nearly killed him.

Big Dave
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Tax season one must assume. Don't lrt the pressure get to you.

Friend of mine is a CPA and tax lawyer that specializes in keeping millionaires from paying taxes. He suffered a major heart attack and nervous break down three years past. Nearly killed him.

Big Dave
No. I'm a Power Plant Electrical Engineer, specialized in Generator windings and automatic voltage regulation. We bring the units down for major maintenance when the weather is suspected of being the mildest. That means Spring and Fall when temps are normally between 30 and 60. Air conditioning load and Heating load are the lowest over these times, so the cost of power is normally cheap. We do these major overhauls on each unit every 7-10 years.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadwolf View Post
No. I'm a Power Plant Electrical Engineer, specialized in Generator windings and automatic voltage regulation. We bring the units down for major maintenance when the weather is suspected of being the mildest. That means Spring and Fall when temps are normally between 30 and 60. Air conditioning load and Heating load are the lowest over these times, so the cost of power is normally cheap. We do these major overhauls on each unit every 7-10 years.
That is interesting. One of my first jobs I got out of college jobs was as the Project Engineer at a company that made high frequency transformers for induction hardening for industry. I used to design Faraday shielded constant voltage isolation transformers for the computer industry as well (any custom wound and built transformer actually). Our only competitor at the time was Siemens.

Radio frequency induction transformers were used by Caterpillar and the auto industry to case harden axles, crankshafts, anything where you wanted a soft flexible core and the outer surface is as hard as the hinges of the door to hell. That company moved to Italy to get cheaper labor.

I thought I was an Albatross for a while. Every time I got a new job the company would either fold, or move out of he country to the far East within a few years of my being hired.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in