Impalas.net banner

64 Impala

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Big Dave 
#1 ·
does anyone know the torque specs for the 10 bolts on differential? Thank you

#2 ·
I don't have a 1964 Chassis Service manual to look it up (because I don't own a 1964 Chevyful size car). But that is where you will find that information if you own a 1964 Chevy full size car. May be in the Shop manual Supplement for 1964 but once again I don't own, and never have owned an X-frame full size Chevy.

Big Dave

#3 ·
Big Dave just loves to tell everyone he never owned an X frame and to buy the service manual. Just move along Dave if you can't or won't bother to help.

Yanez, I looked online and found the torque spec for the 10 bolt 8.2" rear cover at 20lbs. There was nothing specific in the rear end service manual I have.

#4 ·
I think he is talking about a 3rd member type 8.2 used in all X-frame cars not the rear cover 8.2 that was used in 64 Chevelles and Novas. I will pull out my manual when I get home and see if I can find it. The rear cover 8.2 was used in chevelles and Novas in 1964, but I believe they didn't swap the impala over until 1965.

#5 ·
The 64 Shop Manual has little info on the rear differential, but the 64 Shop Manual is just a supplement to the 61 Shop Manual. So, going the the 61 Shop Manual, it says:

"Assemble differential carrier assembly to axle housing, install new sealing lock nuts and tighten to 35-45 ft lbs"

Like BigDave said, if you are going to own a 64 Impala, it is well worth it to own the 61 and 64 supplemental Shop Manuals. Tons of great info from an authoritative source. If you can't afford them, dig around, there are some scans out on the internet. But I find paper manuals better. Mine are 30+ years old with lots of greasy fingerprints on them ;D

#7 ·
It's always good to torque them, but I would just tighten them by hand. Tight, but not too tight. Never had any problems switching out 6 of them in my '62. It had a 283, 3-Speed at the time. When I was 16, no one ever told me that I could shift without leaving a patch of rubber, lol.

Now a Flywheel, that was a different story. We always torqued our Flywheels.

Reactions: BA.
#14 ·
Even more so when I got a best at 9.39 with the 582 and the tire slipping most of the way down the track. Couldn't get good weight transfer with the stock linkage. Even tore one off the frame on a hard launch.

Needless to say a nine second taxi cab wouldn't pass tech so they threw me out every time I showed up.

Big Dave

#16 ·
My first car was a 1953 Chevy 150 2 dr sdn. It was finally sold with a 409 under the hood but it had a bunch of small blocks before I discovered the parts breaking power of a 409 big block. Never used a 409 in my 55's (never owned a '56 or a '57, though I used the '56 gas tanks and gas fill hidden away behind the tail light on a lot of my '55s because I thought it was great idea.

Big Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.