64 Impala - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By dcairns
  • 1 Post By 62BillT
  • 1 Post By Big Dave

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

64 Impala

does anyone know the torque specs for the 10 bolts on differential? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2020, 08:52 PM

I don't have a 1964 Chassis Service manual to look it up (because I don't own a 1964 Chevyful size car). But that is where you will find that information if you own a 1964 Chevy full size car. May be in the Shop manual Supplement for 1964 but once again I don't own, and never have owned an X-frame full size Chevy.

Big Dave
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 09:35 AM

Big Dave just loves to tell everyone he never owned an X frame and to buy the service manual. Just move along Dave if you can't or won't bother to help.

Yanez, I looked online and found the torque spec for the 10 bolt 8.2" rear cover at 20lbs. There was nothing specific in the rear end service manual I have.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsully View Post
Big Dave just loves to tell everyone he never owned an X frame and to buy the service manual. Just move along Dave if you can't or won't bother to help.

Yanez, I looked online and found the torque spec for the 10 bolt 8.2" rear cover at 20lbs. There was nothing specific in the rear end service manual I have.
I think he is talking about a 3rd member type 8.2 used in all X-frame cars not the rear cover 8.2 that was used in 64 Chevelles and Novas. I will pull out my manual when I get home and see if I can find it. The rear cover 8.2 was used in chevelles and Novas in 1964, but I believe they didn't swap the impala over until 1965.

1963 Impala Convertible (Frame off resto-mod in progress)
1963 Impala 2 door hardtop (Pro Street build in progress)
1963 Impala 4 door hardtop (Parts car)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2020, 01:20 PM

Garage
The 64 Shop Manual has little info on the rear differential, but the 64 Shop Manual is just a supplement to the 61 Shop Manual. So, going the the 61 Shop Manual, it says:

"Assemble differential carrier assembly to axle housing, install new sealing lock nuts and tighten to 35-45 ft lbs"

Like BigDave said, if you are going to own a 64 Impala, it is well worth it to own the 61 and 64 supplemental Shop Manuals. Tons of great info from an authoritative source. If you can't afford them, dig around, there are some scans out on the internet. But I find paper manuals better. Mine are 30+ years old with lots of greasy fingerprints on them ;D
BA. likes this.

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the responses. Its for the 10 bolts that go in the 3rd member.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 05:59 PM

It's always good to torque them, but I would just tighten them by hand. Tight, but not too tight. Never had any problems switching out 6 of them in my '62. It had a 283, 3-Speed at the time. When I was 16, no one ever told me that I could shift without leaving a patch of rubber, lol.

Now a Flywheel, that was a different story. We always torqued our Flywheels.
BA. likes this.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 01:24 AM

If you don't torque the pu

mpkin to the housing to the correct torque value you will warp the case and develop leaks. It isn't a problem with the pumpkin falling out but in warping the sealing flange.

Big Dave
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 02:09 AM

can anyone say torque specs
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 09:41 AM

Garage
You missed it in my earlier post. I qouted the shop manual.

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
I don't have a 1964 Chassis Service manual to look it up (because I don't own a 1964 Chevyful size car). But that is where you will find that information if you own a 1964 Chevy full size car. May be in the Shop manual Supplement for 1964 but once again I don't own, and never have owned an X-frame full size Chevy.

Big Dave
Iím curious, what year impalas have you owned? Not trying to hijack the thread.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Classic View Post
I’m curious, what year impalas have you owned? Not trying to hijack the thread.
When my family moved to Florida from northern Ontario Canada we drove down in a brand new two door sedan three in the tree 235 six powered 1958 Bel Air. The dealership tried to sell my dad a used 1957 two door Bel Air hard top that had been in the possession of the sales manager; but who would want a 283 horse fuel injected '57 with a four speed on the floor equipped with electric windows no less. Came time to trade in the '58, it was about worthless compared to '57.

Dad bought an Evening Orchid 1965 Impala two door sport coupe with a 283 four barrel but this time with a PowerGlide and factory A/C as mom was the designated driver. In his travels dad came across an orphaned car at a dealership in Clearwater that was trying to sell it desperately. Nobody wanted it because it had a 350 horse 327 and it was a 9C1 optioned car. It had been ordered for the chief of police but when the city council got the bill they refused delivery and fired the chief. It was a 1968 Ermine White Caprice four door hard top car. Fifteen inch rally wheels hiding four piston disc brakes up front. It had a TH400 transmission which was an improvement over the PG. My mom liked it because it had four doors so she could take the women in the garden club out to lunch.

My first Impala was a 1985 305 four barrel four door sedan with the Taxi Cab package (9C6). It had a 200R4 transmission and the big 8.5 inch differential instead of the 7.6 inch normally used with a 305. It also had HD cooling (oil transmission and power steering pump coolers along with a four core radiator). Non descript car that after it's first 130,000 miles I pulled out the power train and replaced it with a ZZ502 crate engine and a 4L80 transmission. Also swapped out the 2.73 rear gear for a 4.56:1 ring and pinion with an Eaton Positraction differential using 30 spline axles. Drove that for five years but wanted more (only running low elevens). I put the 502 in my Suburban and built a 582 using a Dart big M sportsman block. That got me in the low nines as it had well over a thousand horsepower with a 250 shot of Nitrous Oxide.

When my wife retired from the Sheriff's Office they put her low mileage never wreck 1989 Caprice with HO 305 engine up for sale and I bought it at auction. Pulled the 305 and replaced it with a 406 that I had built out of a pile of aftermarket parts (the only GM part was the block). That became my daily driver as I was tired of the 582 (it was like constantly driving on ice so you had to constantly drive without ever relaxing for a moment). After seven happy years and probably 70,000 miles the stock block broke in half as I was running over 500 horsepower.

Though not Impalas I owned at different times 27 '55 Chevy two doors (most had either 427 or a 331 SBC under the hood) and all were four speed Muncie equipped. Had four 1967 or '68 Camaros with one '70 Camaro all with 427's or a 454 for power (never owned a '69). Add to that add another 19 Novas either a 1969, '70, or a '71. These were all either base 307 SBC or six cylinder cars that I bought to install a BBC in place of the stock motor. All of my Camaros and Novas ran in the tens, but I built a few to be cornering monsters for autocross.

I also owned a 1961 Corvair convertible Monza with the 110 horse motor that I upgraded to the 140 horse variant to autocross. Finally I had a 1963 one ton Chevy Apache truck that I used to tow my race cars. It had a 235 six under the hood with a three speed that broke so often I never used reverse as it wouldn't move the truck without stripping the gear box.

Got tired of replacing the three speed box so I pulled a five speed out of a two and a half ton dump truck (it had a PTO for the hydraulic pump) and yanked the whimpy six for a 400 cube SBC that I had rebuilt as a 406. I used a the 14 inch clutch out of the dump truck to get the power to the dual rear wheels though I never raced it.

Big Dave
Vintage Classic likes this.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 05:56 PM

Garage
The '85 running 11's.... Must have been handy that your wife worked for the Sheriff's Office ;D

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcairns View Post
The '85 running 11's.... Must have been handy that your wife worked for the Sheriff's Office ;D
Even more so when I got a best at 9.39 with the 582 and the tire slipping most of the way down the track. Couldn't get good weight transfer with the stock linkage. Even tore one off the frame on a hard launch.

Needless to say a nine second taxi cab wouldn't pass tech so they threw me out every time I showed up.

Big Dave
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
When my family moved to Florida from northern Ontario Canada we drove down in a brand new two door sedan three in the tree 235 six powered 1958 Bel Air. The dealership tried to sell my dad a used 1957 two door Bel Air hard top that had been in the possession of the sales manager; but who would want a 283 horse fuel injected '57 with a four speed on the floor equipped with electric windows no less. Came time to trade in the '58, it was about worthless compared to '57.

Dad bought an Evening Orchid 1965 Impala two door sport coupe with a 283 four barrel but this time with a PowerGlide and factory A/C as mom was the designated driver. In his travels dad came across an orphaned car at a dealership in Clearwater that was trying to sell it desperately. Nobody wanted it because it had a 350 horse 327 and it was a 9C1 optioned car. It had been ordered for the chief of police but when the city council got the bill they refused delivery and fired the chief. It was a 1968 Ermine White Caprice four door hard top car. Fifteen inch rally wheels hiding four piston disc brakes up front. It had a TH400 transmission which was an improvement over the PG. My mom liked it because it had four doors so she could take the women in the garden club out to lunch.

My first Impala was a 1985 305 four barrel four door sedan with the Taxi Cab package (9C6). It had a 200R4 transmission and the big 8.5 inch differential instead of the 7.6 inch normally used with a 305. It also had HD cooling (oil transmission and power steering pump coolers along with a four core radiator). Non descript car that after it's first 130,000 miles I pulled out the power train and replaced it with a ZZ502 crate engine and a 4L80 transmission. Also swapped out the 2.73 rear gear for a 4.56:1 ring and pinion with an Eaton Positraction differential using 30 spline axles. Drove that for five years but wanted more (only running low elevens). I put the 502 in my Suburban and built a 582 using a Dart big M sportsman block. That got me in the low nines as it had well over a thousand horsepower with a 250 shot of Nitrous Oxide.

When my wife retired from the Sheriff's Office they put her low mileage never wreck 1989 Caprice with HO 305 engine up for sale and I bought it at auction. Pulled the 305 and replaced it with a 406 that I had built out of a pile of aftermarket parts (the only GM part was the block). That became my daily driver as I was tired of the 582 (it was like constantly driving on ice so you had to constantly drive without ever relaxing for a moment). After seven happy years and probably 70,000 miles the stock block broke in half as I was running over 500 horsepower.

Though not Impalas I owned at different times 27 '55 Chevy two doors (most had either 427 or a 331 SBC under the hood) and all were four speed Muncie equipped. Had four 1967 or '68 Camaros with one '70 Camaro all with 427's or a 454 for power (never owned a '69). Add to that add another 19 Novas either a 1969, '70, or a '71. These were all either base 307 SBC or six cylinder cars that I bought to install a BBC in place of the stock motor. All of my Camaros and Novas ran in the tens, but I built a few to be cornering monsters for autocross.

I also owned a 1961 Corvair convertible Monza with the 110 horse motor that I upgraded to the 140 horse variant to autocross. Finally I had a 1963 one ton Chevy Apache truck that I used to tow my race cars. It had a 235 six under the hood with a three speed that broke so often I never used reverse as it wouldn't move the truck without stripping the gear box.

Got tired of replacing the three speed box so I pulled a five speed out of a two and a half ton dump truck (it had a PTO for the hydraulic pump) and yanked the whimpy six for a 400 cube SBC that I had rebuilt as a 406. I used a the 14 inch clutch out of the dump truck to get the power to the dual rear wheels though I never raced it.

Big Dave
Wow 27 55 chevyís! Thanks for the life experiences 🙂
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2020, 01:40 PM

My first car was a 1953 Chevy 150 2 dr sdn. It was finally sold with a 409 under the hood but it had a bunch of small blocks before I discovered the parts breaking power of a 409 big block. Never used a 409 in my 55's (never owned a '56 or a '57, though I used the '56 gas tanks and gas fill hidden away behind the tail light on a lot of my '55s because I thought it was great idea.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page