67 Impala SS engines - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

3Likes
  • 2 Post By Big Dave
  • 1 Post By Darth

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

67 Impala SS engines

What engines were available in a 67 Impala SS?

ghiday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 01:56 PM

All of them. It did not matter if it was an SS or a Biscayne and believe it or not, the 6 Cylinder still should have been available like it was in the earlier years.

The V-8's were the 283, 327, 396 and the 427.

The only one that was engine specific was the SS 427, which got of course, the 427.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 07:58 AM

Engines and more

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...-Chevrolet.pdf

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 11:59 AM

As Bill pointed out above with the exception of the 1967-'69 Impala 427SS models

https://www.chevyhardcore.com/featur.../impala-ss427/

the SS package in a full size and the Chevy II line was just chrome trim and bucket seats installed in a two door sport coupe body (or convertible). In the Chevy II it was offered with a four cylinder, six or base V8 (the 1966 only L-79 option was the ultimate sleeper with a 350 horse 327 out of the Corvette stuffed into a 2,000 pound body).

The full size has one advantage that only the Corvette shares and that is the ability to have a 427 under the hood back when every other car offered to the public was limited to only 400 cubes. (Ford and Chrysler followed along with this decision) Ford broke this gentlemen's agreement in 1969 with the 429 SOHC Torino and Mustang. After 1969 the gloves were off and GM released their 455 and 454 engines on the world. Chrysler let loose with it's 440 and Ford reintroduced the 427 FE series as a 428 (different from the earlier 427 and later 429/460 385 series).

The SS doesn't have a heavy duty anything. we are used to having heavy duty cooling, belectrical, suspension, up graded rear ends and of course our choice of high performance motor in a Camaro SS or a Chevelle SS or a Nova SS. There the SS package buys you performance.

The Impala is Chevrolet's luxury yacht. Not since 1957 has it been performance oriented. The suspension is so soft you can sand paint off the fenders on hard cornering. If you put a 454 under the hood (no one in there right mind builds a 427 BBC today) it would either instantly break the rear end or dribble the rear end down the road until the suspension broke.

Big Dave
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
(no one in there right mind builds a 427 BBC today)

Big Dave
That would be "their" right mind and you just crapped on everyone restoring 60's GM models that came with 427's by making that statement.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2020, 08:44 AM

BBC 427 will not produce enough power on pump gas to justify it's existence. The engine was designed to run on 98 to 103 (depending upon static compression). For the same reason Chrysler doesn't run the second generation 426 Hemi today. You can not get Chevrolets semi hemi BBC to run the way it did in the sixties on today's low octane gas (that and exhaust emissions). High static compression yields free horsepower, but also produces nitrates and nitrites. That is what you see coming out of the header pipes on a top fueler at night. Those flames are super heated nitrogen that is chemically reacting with oxygen from the air to produce that header flame. A Top Fuel engine won't pass emissions even though it is burning an emission clean fuel (Methyl alcohol) with a heavy dose of nitrous oxide (the nitro in nitro-methane) because of the nitrates it produces.

Ever since the SBC 400 was introduced car mags have compared the 400 SBC against the 396-402, and the baby big block looses every time. That was before today's newer SBC hit the market. With a fast burn head on the 400 SBC, burning pump gas, it even beats a stock 454 from the sixties, never mind a 427. A SBC 406-434 is cheaper to build and weighs 220 pounds less than the BBC which is a truck engine by design (the only way Chevy could justify the expense of building the BBC).

With today's pump gas a 540 is a good start to get the look and feel of a 427 from the sixties. You can sleeve a 396 block to obtain a 4.600 inch bore and run a 4.375 inch stroke crank to build a 582 BBC if you want the numbers to match.

A 582 cubic inch engine in a Mark IV block is indistinguishable from the out side from a 396-427. Beside looking like a 396 or 427 (depending upon which decal you put on the air cleaner) it will run all day at wide open throttle just the way it was designed to do for NASCAR competition back in 1961. That is why I built the engine in my Impala to that size; and yes I did run a 402 decal on the air cleaner.

I used to to build race gas only motors for myself, but it is far too much work and expensive for the amount of fun you get back. Which is why I gave up on high octane fuel and built only pump gas motors up until I retired.

It is due to the gas quality at the pump that the legendary 427 is a poor choice for a BBC. But even back in the day a 427 with big rectangular heads was a waste on the street and was frequently beaten by a 302 at the strip on Friday night grudge matches. The ports are designed for NASCAR running for five hours at a time at 7,400 RPM. With a hydraulic cam it couldn't even see that RPM, so you need a solid cam to run those heads.

I have built literally hundreds of 427 big blocks putting them in and pulling them out of my cars. It is how I got into building engines professionally. Every one wanted my engine, often more than I did, so I sold it to them and built another. But I have lived breathed the 427 ever since I gave up on the 409 that I used to run (it wasn't as dependable as the new Mark IV was in terms of rods staying in the block) the way I drove them.

Big Dave
justjohn and japete92 like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 10:11 PM

Dave, not everyone who builds an engine is after killer horsepower. Some people just like a nice cruiser engine with a bit of a "wow" factor when people look at the car.

That opinion may not line up with your opinion but locking a thread to prevent people from voicing their opinion is a bit unorthadox.

Please keep an open mind as a moderator and allow site members to voice their thoughts even if they don't align with your thoughts.
badrad likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
Dave, not everyone who builds an engine is after killer horsepower. Some people just like a nice cruiser engine with a bit of a "wow" factor when people look at the car.

That opinion may not line up with your opinion but locking a thread to prevent people from voicing their opinion is a bit unorthadox.

Please keep an open mind as a moderator and allow site members to voice their thoughts even if they don't align with your thoughts.
I think a 496 with 427 makes a good cruise motor.

And I have not locked a thread yet. I have rhino thick skin so nothing any one says will bother me. It wasn't me who locked it. No idea why anyone with the power to do so would do so knowingly.

Might have been an accident by some one looking at the account, but who ever did it will have their name on it. Just looked and this thread isn't locked. if it were you couldn't add a post, only a moderator or above could do that.

Big Dave
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 10:43 PM

It was locked shortly after you posted. It just opened up again tonight.

What do you mean "I think a 496 with 427 makes a good cruise motor." ?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 09:27 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Check out Team Chevelle, there are lots of hard running 427s. They require more money for some parts but if you have the block, crank, and rods you might as well use it. I couldn't give away my 427 rotating assembly with a forged crank, aftermarket rods, and forged pistons so I rebuilt the engine instead.

If starting from scratch a 454/496 is usually easier since you can find a bare block or complete engine fairly cheap depending on area. I think it's funny that a SBC 427 is the ultimate but a BBC 427 is a waste of engine.

'67 Hell Camino-BB 427/TH400/4.10 His
'67 Biscayne-BB 427/TH400/??? Hers
'66 Chevelle 300 Deluxe- 230/PG

"Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-Orsen Wells

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people. And they are more useful in general.

Last edited by badrad; 06-28-2020 at 10:21 AM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
What do you mean "I think a 496 with 427 makes a good cruise motor." ?
If you have a 4.25" inch bore block (427 or 454) then a 496 Scat or Eagle rotating assembly makes a great 427 as determined by the decal you put on the air cleaner. They all look like alike physically, and you can not determine displacement without tearing them down. So a 396, 402, 427, or 454 decal determines the displacement in the eyes of those looking at the decal; not what you actually have.

I bought a lot of 427 engines that where just a 396 with a decal saying 427 before I learned that the casting numbers can eliminate that mistake. Few if any check casting numbers at a car show or at a street race. With a big block bigger is better. After 1971 most every one building a hot rod wanted a 454 not a 427. They all kept putting a 396 or a 427 decal on the air cleaner though. It is why the SS396 retained the 396 decal long after the motor grew to 402 in cubes.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page