Roof Rail Trim - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2020, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Roof Rail Trim

The stainless steel trim that holds the roof rail weather strip, when I removed the stainless trim from my car, on the back of the stainless trim was taped a foam strip the full length of the trim. See the photos. My question, should the foam be there or is it something some previous owner has added for some strange reason?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200823_155029.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	23942   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200823_155042.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	23944   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200823_155046.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	23946  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2020, 11:29 AM

You didn't mention the year of your car, but ...

People think that we have always had plastics. But we haven't. It, like transistors, are a recent invention.

Just remember the single word mentioned to Dustin Hoffman in the movie "The Graduate".

They first appeared as Bakelite; a hard, yet resilient plastic in our rotary dial phones from the mid fifties (remember them?). Then as the fiber size became smaller and stronger nylon appears in fabrics as reinforcement for tires, in seat belts, and spread from there. PCV replaced cloth as insulation in wiring in the late fifties (why your wiring is so brittle today) and fiberglass was used first in the automotive industry in the early fifties. But it took until the late sixties to see ABS plastics in your interior.

Finally 3M foam trim tape didn't appear until the early eighties. So unless you are talking about a mid eighties full size car it was put on by a body shop or end user after that time.

Big Dave

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2020, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Yeah sorry the car is my 65 SS. Thanx for the help, makes sense. I can carry on putting it back into the car.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 12:34 AM

The foam material you described/showed is original to the car. I've taken many apart and have seen it on every original car built in the mid to late 60's.

It's intended to seal out water leaks and wind noise. It was very effective at doing so. I've not found a modern replacement for it. I've had good success using a thin rolled strip of butyl tape in it's place. 3M Strip Caulk would also be a suitable replacement.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2020, 11:18 AM

Sorry that I did not see this sooner. FYI, Inline Tube has rolls of the OE style sealing tape. It was used on almost every GM car. Part number: INL11128 and it comes in a 14' roll. I polish a lot of stainless moldings and buy these by the dozens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	INL11128.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	23950  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page