Question regarding front end - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Question regarding front end

How or what is the easy way to identify what your front is ( year/ make ) If you dont have the original ? Seller replaced my 65 front end with another with disc brakes and need to know what it is before I can buy parts. Any help here appreciated as always...thanks jackson. I'll throw in a pic this weekend to help out. Upper A arm was cast I believe in 65 as well as the lower. Mine has a thin steel upper arm (normal triangle shape) but the lower is long and narrow and doesn't have the sway bar tabs needed for adding sway bar and linkage which I would like to add. One clue I have is the upper ball joint is common 65-70 OEM GM ball joint.

1965 Bel Air
2004 Tahoe
Honey the garage is mine, you get the rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 06:51 PM

This is a photo of my 1965 Impala wagon with 1969-1970 Impala disc brakes.
Most 1965 Belair's and Biscayne's with 6 cylinders didn't come with a factory front sway bar. They can be added. If your front end dosn't look like this then you may have aftermarket control arms and a aftermarket disc brake kit that uses midsize Camaro, Monte carlo or Malibu brake parts. The caliper will be on the other side of the rotor also.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69

Last edited by dadstoy; 04-14-2011 at 04:44 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 07:03 PM

Good luck. There is no standard part on these kits. Parts are mix and match off of GM 1971 to mid eighties cars (but I have no idea which part they used as the GVW of the car affects the rotor thickness and the width of the opening in the full floating brake caliper as well as the OD of the disc and the wheel bearings used). I would be very concerned if the rotors where redrillled (formerly on a five inch bolt circle or for six bolts as those generally are off of light trucks).

There are also brake kits that use PBR dual pistonfixed bridge calipers or four piston Girling fixed bridge brake calipers on some kits; even though the billet aluminum caliper says Wilwood or Baer. It is hard to nail it down.

You can spec things out by surface area of the wheel cylinders matched with the surface area of the master cylinder (assuming 3000 psi line pressure to compute the hydraulic force being applied) and look for a similar size brake set-up in the Bendix or Girling catalog of your freindly neighborhood NAPA parts store. (even casting numbers off the parts could be looked up on-line possibly).

Big Dave

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Larry/Dave:
Larry mine looks just like yours, and probably did come from a 69-70. The previous owner has a 69 as well and it may have come from that. The rotors are like yours and not slotted and the calipers are not aftermarket either as they are single piston and cast. I'm leaning towards saving the bucks and getting new upper/lowers-springs-calipers-shocks. Mainly because I need to replace the lowers anyway, with new ones that have sway bar tabs. I get this front end finished and I'm basically done with the big ticket items. The goal for "Big Blue" is- Hot August Nights 11 ! so time is not a factor, Just the 5k to finish it.... Thanks for the help.

1965 Bel Air
2004 Tahoe
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 05:47 PM

Enjoy Hot August Nights, I was there last August. It was great.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Thank you sir....One question...my rotors do not have the shields on them, the backplate or shield just isn't there as it is in your photo. How important is the shield?

1965 Bel Air
2004 Tahoe
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 09:23 PM

Its nice to have the shields but not nessary.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page