Intake carb mount threads stripped - what to do? - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Intake carb mount threads stripped - what to do?

Bought a rebuild kit for my carb and everything went smooth. I noticed the threaded studs in the intake that the carb mount with were kinda loose when i pulled the carb, and i wasn't able to tighten them down as much as id like when reinstalling the carb. If I cranked them down the studs would pull out.

Installed the carb and cranked the engine and raw gas is pouring out around the carb to intake gasket.

There are 2 possible mounting holes at each corner and it looks like most of them are stripped. The guy I bought the car from was a lousy mechanic, this is just one of a long list of this sort of thing I've been dealing with.

Any ideas? I'm thinking tap the holes one size larger and use larger threaded rod for studs, but I'm open to all ideas.

Aluminum Edelbrock intake with Edelbrock 4bbl carb on a 400 SBC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 08:35 AM

JB weld?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 10:09 AM

I would put heli-coils in them and never look back, but my best friend would/has used the JB Weld successfully.

Mike

1965 Impala SS 396
1967 SS427

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

I considered JB Weld, but I hate to use it if there's a better way. It always feels like a halfass fix when I use JB Weld.

Would you JB Weld the threaded studs into the manifold, or would you put JB Weld in the stripped manifold and then retap the threads into the JB Weld? I don't think the JB Weld would have the strength to hold new threads.

I also considered some silicone RTV form-a-gasket around the carb to keep me from having to crank it down too tight, but I don't like that idea either.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9040 View Post
I would put heli-coils in them and never look back, but my best friend would/has used the JB Weld successfully.

So are you saying use a helicoil of a slightly larger diameter in the manifold, and then use the old threaded studs in the helicoils? This sounds like a good solution to me.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 02:06 PM

Yep that's how Helicoils work but you don't need to order larger than you have, the kit takes that into account. Only downside is you might have to remove the manifold to avoid chips falling into your engine.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Picked up 5/16-18 Helicoil kit at lunch, I'll see how it goes tonight. Hopefully problem solved. If not, I'm gonna have a bunch of JB Weld in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page