Coil spring seat clarification - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Coil spring seat clarification

When I picked up my 1967 Impala sedan, I found that the coil spring seats in the rear suspension were replaced with two blocks of wood (not OEM Im sure haha).

Can someone give me some details on where/how to replace these? The service manual says its a bolt on feature but most of the wrench jockeys I know tell me its a weld only feature.

Ive attached the image from the manual for what Im needing help with.

Appreciate the help

PS: should this be posted in the wrong forum, I apologize ahead of time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0792.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	2106  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RO_Impala67 View Post
When I picked up my 1967 Impala sedan, I found that the coil spring seats in the rear suspension were replaced with two blocks of wood (not OEM Im sure haha).

Can someone give me some details on where/how to replace these? The service manual says its a bolt on feature but most of the wrench jockeys I know tell me its a weld only feature.

Ive attached the image from the manual for what Im needing help with.

Appreciate the help

PS: should this be posted in the wrong forum, I apologize ahead of time.
G`Day Rick, I presume you`re referring to the round circle sitting on top of the lower trailing arm below the spring in your picture, on my 67 Impala its a hexagonal loose piece of steel probably around 10mm thick and around 10-12cm across, the bolt that forms the lower spring mount goes through it and the lower control arm and is secured by a washer & nut as shown in your diagram. If yours are missing i`d either go to a wrecker or a suspension shop.

67 RHD Australian Delivered 4 Door Hardtop Impala
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 11:15 AM

The manual picture is correct. The lower attachment uses a single bolt. There is a steel retainer that fits inside the coils from the top and there are a few spacers (shown as a washer in the picture) that go between the bottom of the speing and the lower control arm. Nothing is welded on the 67 lower rear spring mount.
Many other models have a welded perch for the spring but the 67 is just as pictured.

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 02:25 PM

The piece that sits on top of the control arm is as described. But the "washer" that secures the spring from the top is actually a cup stamped exactly for the contour of the spring. They are not reproduced so it is a junk yard piece and it is unique to the full size cars.

Mike

1965 Impala SS 396
1967 SS427
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks gentlemen. Im just having odd time showing this image to mechanics and they are stratching their heads or telling me there weld only. Are these universal or do I need specific measurements for my coils to get the proper units?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 09:30 PM

Coil springs

Like most other suspension parts, these are most likely interchangeable from 65-70. You should have no problem finding these in a junk yard. You may also want to consider replacing your mechanics......
For any metal parts, especially small shippable ones, I would always try to purchase from the west coast: Try Arizona Desert Supplies, they usually specialize in older vehicles:

Paul

Arizona Desert Specialties
(520) 574-9611
6475 East Drexel Road
Tucson, AZ 85706
USA

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsc66 View Post
Like most other suspension parts, these are most likely interchangeable from 65-70. You should have no problem finding these in a junk yard. You may also want to consider replacing your mechanics......
For any metal parts, especially small shippable ones, I would always try to purchase from the west coast: Try Arizona Desert Supplies, they usually specialize in older vehicles:

Paul

Arizona Desert Specialties
(520) 574-9611
6475 East Drexel Road
Tucson, AZ 85706
USA
Appreciate this. I was able to get a set from DVAP (Desert Valley Auto Parts) for a good price. Should have them in about a week.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Got them yesterday. Just a little cleanup and will be installing them.

Frame up restoration of 1967 Impala in progress
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 04:43 PM

Coil supports

Great, send us a pic when done.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Will do, its next on my to-do list after I finish the reconstruction of my front end core.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

I do have a couple to show. Heres the right rear side, you can see the "seat" is a block of wood. Second photo is the parts I got through DVAP that have to be cleaned up. When the weather clears long enough, I will get them on and post the final photo for that.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Impala Right Rear Brake 01.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	2124   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1005.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	2125  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 07:42 PM

Those are correct Rick.
I will give you a good tip for installation of the rear springs. Get a longer bolt for installation, make sure it is about 1.5 to 2" longer than stock with full threads. Most bolts will have a portion without threads so go to the specialty bolt section of the hardware store and spend a couple bucks extra. Use these bolts during install rather than the short original bolt.
The issue is that the rear end geometry is such that the bottom end will not sit flat onto the perch until you compress the spring a bit and it is a PITA to get the short bolt and nut started. Get the tops of the springs seated correctly and then just start the longer bottom bolts a bit. You will have to bend the spring a bit to do this but it can be done by hand rather easily at this point. Then as you compress the spring by putting weight on the axle it will move into place. Once you get the shock re-attached and everything looks good you can replace the longer bolts with shorter ones (if desired).

This will save you countless profanity during the install.

I'm assuming you are replacing the springs also??? I'm sure those blocks were in there because of rear end spring sag. Up here in the northland we used to use hockey pucks for that purpose rahter than wood blocks! They last much longer.

Good luck.

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossil_Fuel View Post
Those are correct Rick.
I will give you a good tip for installation of the rear springs. Get a longer bolt for installation, make sure it is about 1.5 to 2" longer than stock with full threads. Most bolts will have a portion without threads so go to the specialty bolt section of the hardware store and spend a couple bucks extra. Use these bolts during install rather than the short original bolt.
The issue is that the rear end geometry is such that the bottom end will not sit flat onto the perch until you compress the spring a bit and it is a PITA to get the short bolt and nut started. Get the tops of the springs seated correctly and then just start the longer bottom bolts a bit. You will have to bend the spring a bit to do this but it can be done by hand rather easily at this point. Then as you compress the spring by putting weight on the axle it will move into place. Once you get the shock re-attached and everything looks good you can replace the longer bolts with shorter ones (if desired).

This will save you countless profanity during the install.

I'm assuming you are replacing the springs also??? I'm sure those blocks were in there because of rear end spring sag. Up here in the northland we used to use hockey pucks for that purpose rahter than wood blocks! They last much longer.

Good luck.
Craig,

Those blocks of wood are what the previous owner slapped in there when he sold the original seats before I got the car. lol. Im hoping the springs are in good repair but its going to be Spring time before I get to them. The weather up here is crappy now till that time.

Appreciate the ideas but I love profanity so much lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page