1965 Chevy Impala stationwagon question - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

1965 Chevy Impala stationwagon question

Hi guys, I am new to this site as I am looking at a 1965 impala wagon. I am a big chev fan but have never worked on a impala. The owner of the car says the car is complete and all the trim is there, even the roof rack. My question is when I go to look at the car what should I be looking for to see if it is worth buying or not, for example is there a spot where the frame will rot out like over the rear axle, it looks like a nice car from the pics. thanks in advance for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 06:07 PM

Welcome, I also have a 65 Impala wagon. Rust, Check the doglegs in the quarter panels behind the rear doors, Around the rear windows, Spare tire bottom, Around the front windshield, The area under the windshield where the wiper linkage is and up to the bottom of the windshield. The bottom of the doors, the bottoms and wheel lip of the front fenders. Inner front fenders under the battery box. The radiator support mounts. The frame, All body mounts, Trans cross member,Behind front wheels, In front of rear wheels. Floor pans. These cars rust about any where. Put it up on a lift be for you buy it.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for the reply, I think. haha. there is a lot to look at it, I wont be able to put it on the hoist but he does have it on jackstands so my fat *** can look underneath pretty good. he did say the interior was pretty ratty but I am not going to do a complete restoration. when I was looking around for interior stuff there wasn't really a lot out there on ebay.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

A couple of spots where my 70 wagon developed problems are:

* rust on the bottom of the tailgate (I guess drain holes were plugged at some point)
* rust on the hood lip where the trim is (that's pretty visible though)

Dadstoy gave you a good start but basically take a mechanic or better yet bodyman friend and go check the car out. Swapping an engine is easy but body work will eat up your budget pretty quick. As always, it is better to just buy a restored or good condition car than go into a restoration project.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips, I realize it is probably cheaper for me to buy a car already done but the reason I am buying this car is because it is cheap and that I need something to occupy my time, I am with the army and am being posted from ontario to Nova Scotia. I am also a divorced dad and I will be about 1500 km from my 2 girls so thats why I wanted it. I enjoy working on cars so I thought hey what the hell, There is not a lot of station wagons up here at car shows in Canada
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 08:44 PM

There are not a lot of them south of the boarder either. Make sure you get all the trim and moldings as they are mostly wagon specific. The rear wrap around trim is very hard to find and expensive .
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

did they actually make a lot of those cars, I don't know if this one is a 6 seater or a 9 seater, I forgot to ask. it does have the roof racks which I think is a cool thing. is it hard to find an interior for them, like carpet throughout the whole car and door panels and stuff like that, I am just trying to get a good idea of what I am getting into before I do anything. I know it still has the drum brakes in the front as well as pop rivets for the ball joints.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 10:32 PM

Carpet and door panels are the same as 4 door. Front seat and front doors are same as 4 door. Rear seat and rear doors are wagon only. Heres a hint, If its a 9 pass wagon it will have 2 small steps on the rear bumper.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

in the pics there is no rear step for the rear bumper,
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

I called the guy who has the car now and I asked a few questions, it is a 6 seater, not a 9. the car has air shocks in the rear, (I never had a car before with air shocks so that is new to me). the last crossmember on the frame is bent (directly underneath of the tailgate) he thinks the guy who had it before pulled it out of somewhere by the bumper and thats what made it bend. I would think they pulled it out by the frame itself. I am going to pull the body off anyway to paint the frame anyway so I will measure it and make sure it is square. He was asking 2 grand for the car and I might be getting it for 1 grand. either way I still think it is a good deal.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 11:55 AM

The center section of the rear bumper is different from a car. The ends are the same. Got any pictures of it?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

I guess I miswrote what I meant, it is the last crossmember on the frame itself. In other words if you take the rear bumper off you would see that crossmember.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 08:53 PM

I would guess the bumper was bent if the rear cross member is bent as they are bolted together.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Thats what I would have thought, but judging from the pics the bumper looks pretty straight but he says the cross member is bent outwards.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

I am going to look at the car either sunday night or monday, I will take lots of pics and post them here and hopefully you guys can say yes or no or whether or not it is worth the 1000$
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 08:05 AM

Take a cheap magnet like a refrigerator magnet or hidden key box magnet with you. Run it across the body all over the body and if it doesnt stick you GOT RUST or at least bondo covering a dent. Magnets dont lie people do.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

I already have that magnet packed in my suitcase. I am flying out in the morning from ottawa to halifax where the car is. I am going down to look for a house because I am moving down in july. I just want another project car to play around with.

where do you guys get all of your body panels from if I have to buy any. from the pics i would say i need rear quarters but do they make them for the wagon.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 04:26 PM

I am patching my wagon rear quarters with quarter panels from a 4 door. No one makes quarters for 65 wagons.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

so i went to look at this car, overall was quite impressed, all rockers were pretty solid, doors were pretty good, all glass was there and worked good.

I have a couple questions though regarding the front and rear frame sections though, on the front section of the frame in front of the engine but behind the rad there is two diagonal sections that attach to the main frame rails, these look bent but there are no sharp bends, meaning they are a smooth bend to them, there is a bar that runs through them. I am unsure if these were factory because the hood and front clip are a different color then the rest of the car so I am thinking it was hit.

The rear bumper is 3 piece, the center section is pulled out a bit and that is where the frame is a bit sketchy, i don't think it can be straightened out the way it is, but my question is do they make a piece that you can weld in as a replacement or do you need to get another frame.

I did the fridge magnet thing and I am going to need front fenders and inner fenders as well as rear quarters, the floor has had several patches in it but it is still solid, a few pin holes but no major holes.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker677 View Post
so i went to look at this car, overall was quite impressed, all rockers were pretty solid, doors were pretty good, all glass was there and worked good.

I have a couple questions though regarding the front and rear frame sections though, on the front section of the frame in front of the engine but behind the rad there is two diagonal sections that attach to the main frame rails, these look bent but there are no sharp bends, meaning they are a smooth bend to them, there is a bar that runs through them. I am unsure if these were factory because the hood and front clip are a different color then the rest of the car so I am thinking it was hit.

The rear bumper is 3 piece, the center section is pulled out a bit and that is where the frame is a bit sketchy, i don't think it can be straightened out the way it is, but my question is do they make a piece that you can weld in as a replacement or do you need to get another frame.

I did the fridge magnet thing and I am going to need front fenders and inner fenders as well as rear quarters, the floor has had several patches in it but it is still solid, a few pin holes but no major holes.
The front part you are talking about is normal. Those bends are suppose to be there. Also, the bar that runs through it is the front sway bar. The frame right there looks funny if you aren't used to seeing it.

On the rear, many times people would try to pull with the back bumper and tweak the back section. Typically is it easy to repair, and unless it is really messed up, shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Post some pics and we can help you out!

-Nick

OCD Customs
My Wheels
Classic Nation car pictures.

1965 Impala SS
6.2L LSX with 4L80E, 3.73 Gears, Disc Brakes, Air Ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page