1968 Impala Wiper problem - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

1968 Impala Wiper problem

Well here is the story of the problem. Bought a 68 Impala 4 door. Wipers did not work. Replaced wiper motor from Oreily's Auto parts. That motor did not work. Got it replaced under warranty. Now onto the problem.
When wiper motor connected as it should, both wiper arms work real slow. Very slow. But if you disconnect one wiper arm, the one connected wiper arm works like it should! Don't know why!? A guy who I know has a 74 Nova has the same exact problem! Cant seem to figure out why. Haven't tested or replaced switch which I think I might as switch also does not have a knob to turn on wipers. Have to grip the metal part of switch really tight and can turn on switch. Any insight into this problem will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masek12rs View Post
Well here is the story of the problem. Bought a 68 Impala 4 door. Wipers did not work. Replaced wiper motor from Oreily's Auto parts. That motor did not work. Got it replaced under warranty. Now onto the problem.
When wiper motor connected as it should, both wiper arms work real slow. Very slow. But if you disconnect one wiper arm, the one connected wiper arm works like it should! Don't know why!? A guy who I know has a 74 Nova has the same exact problem! Cant seem to figure out why. Haven't tested or replaced switch which I think I might as switch also does not have a knob to turn on wipers. Have to grip the metal part of switch really tight and can turn on switch. Any insight into this problem will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Taking off one arm reduces the resistance the arm works against by almost half therefore it runs faster. Your problem is resistance, but it is more of an electrical resistance not a mechanical resistance that you are having a problem with. Try hot wiring the wiper motor directly to the battery and the ground going back to the negative terminal of the battery. I will wager it works just fine with both blades then.

Paint is an insulator. Is your wiper motor grounded by way of a painted section of the car or the wiper motor. If so sand off the paint at the point of contact and maybe even tin it or use a brass washer to get a good ground. At least run a ground wire to the motor with the wiper motor ground down to bare metal if you suspect the problem with a ground lies else where.

I used to own a 1958 Corvette roadster. It required two wires for anything to work because the plastic body won't conduct any electricity. Because of this I am very used to seeing how well things will work if you complete the electrical circuit by removing insulating plastic paint from electrical parts. so that your steel body (which isn't all that hot at conducting electricity to begin with) can act as a ground.

You can hit anything you grind off with self etching primer that does conduct electricity (you can even weld through it) and it protects against corrosion at least temporarily due to it's rich zinc content. After the parts are installed and working correctly you can encapsulate everything back in black plastic paint again.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 07:39 PM

The other thing you need to check is the working of the linkage. The wiper linkage can become very stiff on these cars. They are not greasable from the factory and if they have been sitting or unused for a long time they dry/rust. Disconnect the motor and the wipers and see if it moves freely. I have had to take the linkage mechanism out and drill a hole on each wiper turnstlye so I could clean/lube the moving parts.

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone! Will definitely follow all the advice that you have given me. will update with my findings. Thank you again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page