Installing an LS in a 1967 Impala - Impala Tech
General Tech For best results use forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Question Installing an LS in a 1967 Impala

Hi Gents,

I'm looking to install a Corvette engine/trans in my 67' Impala. Do any of you guys have any insight on a project like this? Pros/Cons. I found a shop that specializes in LS installs and yes it's pricey. If anyone know of any other shops in the FL, GA, SC, NC region please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

1967 Chevy Impala 4 dr hrd tp...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 06:59 PM

There is a shop in Tampa that has performed this transplant three times already. I can not speak for them as it is a labor intensive operation and the job had one of his bays tied up for nearly three weeks so accepting the job is up to the owner (PM me if interested). You will also need a lot of parts as there is no one LS-x motor that fits the best (you generally start with a large displacement 6.0 or 6.2 liter truck block and add the oil pan off of a Cadillac, front drive off of a Camaro, intake manifolds off of the 'vette along with the cam swap and computer controller if compatible (they all do not play well together as there are five different iterations of the LS-x and few parts interchange across all LS platforms).

An LS-x conversion will cost you as much if not more than if you were buying a new ZZ572 motor and a new 6L90 transmission from GMPP. Both will offer similar horsepower. The LS-x will have better street manners and could pass for a 283 until you get on it (no one can mistake a ZZ572 for a 283). You get much better mileage and starting out of a LS-x but the ZZ572 will trump the torque of the LS in spades (unless you are going to turbo charge or install a blower on the LS-x later).

There are kits to help with the computer upgrade to match your mixed bag of parts, headers, engine mounting parts and the LS swap offers you a lot of choices with your transmission. There are kits to bolt on an old school Muncie or to adapt a TH400 to the LS-x series of engines (the crank bolt pattern is different and it is recessed further back towards the front of the engine than on a SBC or BBC).

You will also have to address the fuel delivery issue with a new stainless steel tank and fuel lines, along with an in tank aftermarket pump and regulator. Electric fans are required which usually requires an aluminum radiator to mount them to.

Cool thing about a ZZ572 swap is you can put on orange painted stamped steel valve covers paint the aluminum heads and intake Chevy orange and then top the whole thing off with 396 decals and 9 out of 10 car show enthusiast would not be able to tell the difference between a 572 and the 396. Unfortunately half the show goers wouldn't know the difference if you painted the motor turquoise and stuck 389 decals on it and you then told them you had a GTO.

Big Dave
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 01:54 AM

Depending on what you are going for the swap can be done for far less than any crate type engine, not if you just gotta have the corvette engines. but truck engines are plentiful and cheap and the best part is most of the parts actually do interchange ,save for a few, for instance my 68 has an ls based engine in it actually a 4.8l and I guarantee it gets down the road worlds better than the 327 it came with ever dreamed, swap parts are getting cheaper everyday,.and becoming available,mine has the 4l60e still hooked to it, if you are after all out power get a lq9. And build it however you like, as for cost, I am picky it's my car,and all my labor, so I couldn't say . I have way more time in my ls swap than any of the other ls swaps I have done.but I can turn one out in about three weeks, by myself. Including building the wiring harness too. The biggest issue on your car is the rear steer/ exhaust clearance . I twigged up some long tubes for mine, but I have a set of headers off of ebay that I'm gonna test fit, they r stainless for like 225$ and look top notch, we will see. I'm in tn. If I can help in anyway just drop me a line or you can call or text.423-618-4111 I will help however I can.. I don't need tons of power in my impala it's more of a low rod, the 72 nova is a different story to come.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 07:26 AM

First off, all Vette LS transmissions are in the back so you will need to look at truck, camaro, GTO, G8, or CTS configurations if you are looking for a complete pullout. Second, like Dave said, the peripherals are what adds up in the final cost. The motor is the easy part, everything else will nickel and dime you to death. Go to http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...onversion.html and check out Ken's conversion. Great build thread.

On the plus side, I did a 6.0 in my old chevelle. With a cam and headers, it put out 500 ponies and had great street manors.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hintonl View Post
Hi Gents,

I'm looking to install a Corvette engine/trans in my 67' Impala. Do any of you guys have any insight on a project like this? Pros/Cons. I found a shop that specializes in LS installs and yes it's pricey. If anyone know of any other shops in the FL, GA, SC, NC region please let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Who was it and how much were they quoting?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 02:22 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Jono
Hi Guys,

I just bought am LS1 for my 1967 two door project. It's in great shape. It is an all-alloy 5.7 litre with a rebuilt bottom end and CNC ported heads. It was a hot cam, high flow intake, fuel rails and oil pump. The guy I bought it from says it has a GTO oil pan will that fit inside the engine bay or is it better to go with an after market oil pan like the Holley LS oil pan?

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dubai-20131201-00161.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	4162  

1967 2dr Hard Top Impala
http://jonos-impala.blogspot.ae/
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2013, 06:20 AM

The GTO pan will not fit since its a front sump design. The Holley pan is the best bang for the buck and they just re-designed it for even better clearance for old GM cars.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 12:13 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Jono
Thanks Alex. I'll get onto Holley. Looks like they have got into LSX gear in a big way.

1967 2dr Hard Top Impala
http://jonos-impala.blogspot.ae/
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hintonl View Post
Hi Gents,

Thanks in advance!
Not to be an DIY snob, but I can't believe that people pay to have LS conversions...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2013, 10:40 AM
BA.

It's all Time vs Money, I certainly have more money than time.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 02:36 PM

how is this going? I am looking to do the same
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page