Impalas.net banner

67 v8 motor mount to frame perches

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Big Dave 
#1 ·
My 67 impala did not have the motor mount frame perches on it when I got the car. I want to put a 454 in it. Anyone know where to get a set? Thanks much..

#5 ·
To narrow it down; you need a 1965 to '67 frame engine stand. The 1968-'70 models used a different stand due to a safety recall caused by broken motor mounts. and a lawyer named Ralph Nader. The 1968 through 1972 models used short and wide stands to account for the thicker, stronger (interlocking) motor mounts.

The original design implemented with the 283 back in 1958 used a thinner vulcanized rubber mount that more powerful, and larger displacement motors tore into two parts allowing the motor to roll over and pull the throttle rod open.

In 1969 Chevy introduced a throttle cable to replace the solid rod that pulled the throttle open as the motor rotated due to engine torque.

Big Dave

#6 ·
This is one of those subjects that is complicated and continue on to be puzzling, but I have had 2 original '69 Impala cars, one sitting right next to other and one had the Tall Mounts and the other the Short.

#7 ·
All my GM parts books are packed up right now (we are moving in a few days) but if my memory is right, even knowing the year is not enough. It seems to me that in 1967 both styles were used on Impalas, and maybe other years as well. Also, I think maybe in some cases, the same year car may have a different mount on a 307 vs 327 or something like that. Be careful you get matching parts. I just can't help you more without my books, sorry.

#8 ·
I also seem to remember Talls and Shorts on different years, but I cannot distinctively remember like I can on the '69's. In my collection of 23 '65 to '70 Full Size cars only about 1/4 of them had the Short Mounts, the rest have Talls. I am sold out of Shorts, which are the ones that are the most in demand. Looking back, I wish I had taken better records on which cars had which.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.