Impalas.net banner

66 Impala 4 sp Muncie shifter.

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Darth 
#1 ·
Hi I have a 66 SS Impala 396 with a 4 speed, the upper shift boot needs replacing,but I am haven't been able to remove the reverse lockout T bar from the shifter to do this,is there an easy way to remove this? Any help would be appreciated,thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Welcome to the Team Ian!

Your shifter is more modern than the George Hurst produced shifters I used to use (the Competition Plus). The only shifter I ever had for a manual trans, that had a reverse lock out was the Mr. Gasket Vertical Gate shifter. With those the T-handle just unscrewed from the shifter arm, but the boot was enormous (as was the hole you cut in your floor to accommodate the straight rods for the shifter arms).

I would go in Mr. Gasket's site to see if they have a pdf instruction sheet for your model shifter (Mr. Gasket bought out George back in 1973); though it may have changed hads again since then).

Big Dave

#3 ·
Hi Dave thanks for your reply. I don't think I explained it very well. I could be wrong but I think it may be a 66 muncie shifter from what I have searched online, the reverse lockout is on the shifter shaft and lifts up under the gear knob.I know it's probably impossible to know without a picture for you. Thanks Ian

#5 ·
1) Remove the knob by unscrewing it.

2) Remove the little allen head setscrew which holds the cable for the reverse lockout. Pull up on the T-handle to remove it.

3) Remove shift boot.

4) Remove shifter handle because you will likely have to buy a new reverse lockout cable. You'll see why, because it's next to impossible to get it back through that t-handle and get the setscrew in. You'll see what I mean.

However, I am pretty sure when I installed the new boot on mine way back when, I just removed the knob and stretched the boot over the T-handle one side of the T at a time.

#7 ·
I don't know how the repro boot is but when I did mine way back when I used an original boot. I would say you should either warm it up nicely out in the hot sun (depending where you live) or heat it up somehow to make it most flexible to do this. The original GM boot worked very nicely to stretch over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.