Impala Tech - View Single Post - 1966 Impala Steering box
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 07:33 PM
BA.

Most people would say that the stock steering box is over-power-assisted and too many turns lock to lock.

If you agree, you may want to steer clear of a stock or rebuilt stock box. There are many other units that swap right in place, and a few available on the aftermarket that are very nice as well. Just a matter of $$.

Some folks have used a 70's era Z28 or Trans Am box. I personally had heard the 79 was 'the one to get' and got lucky and got one for $50 long long ago for a different car. I bought my Impala replacement box from Lee's Steering because of their reputation.
I think a Jeep Grand Cherokee box can also be swapped in (cheap and plentiful!), but always ask about (think about) which ones have a Standard hose fitting versus a Metric fitting. They make hoses and even fittings to adapt - just know what you need for the box you end up getting.

I believe a few others have used the CPP unit that they sell. Not sure if it's good or durable. I believe Lee's had mentioned our Full Size cars use an '800' series unit which is slightly beefier than what you find on some other cars.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome