Impalas.net banner

67 Impala SS Convertible Fan Shroud

5K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  BigDogSS 
#1 ·
Did the 67 Impala with a 327 come with a fan shroud if it was not equipped with air conditioning?

#2 ·
Yes it did. All the 60's chevy's had fan shrouds otherwise they get really hot while idling or in stop and go traffic.

#3 ·
Strangely, not all '65 and '66 Impala cars had Fan Shrouds. Not real sure where they drew the line at, but Small Blocks w/o Air did not have them anyway.

#4 ·
My 1966 Impala SS with 283 and power glide had a fan shroud and it didn't have AC. My brothers 66 Impala with a I6 and three on the tree had a fan shroud, granted of course it didn't stay a I6 car very long.

#5 ·
Are you referring to a Fan Shroud or a Radiator Spacer? The '65 and '66 has a Radiator Spacer that goes between the Radiator and the Radiator Support, but technically it's not really a Fan Shroud, although some cars did actually have a Shroud.

#6 ·
Nope, I distinctly remember a shroud between engine and radiator that the fan stuck half way into. I do also remember trying to find one in a salvage yard was next to impossible. The spacers you are talking about were for the Iron duke engines, at least that is where I saw one on a 63 Impala. The little I4 wasn't long enough so they had to space the radiator back to the engine. Too bad those I4's only saw their way into fleet vehicles. They were tough little engines.

#8 · (Edited)
Nope, I distinctly remember a shroud between engine and radiator that the fan stuck half way into.
On all '65-'66 Full Size Chevy cars?

I do also remember trying to find one in a salvage yard was next to impossible.
Most likely because most '65 and '66's did not have one.

The spacers you are talking about were for the Iron duke engines, at least that is where I saw one on a 63 Impala.
Maybe so, but '65 and '66 V-8's had the Spacers that I was talking about and there were 2 sizes, a 4 Inch and a 1 3/4 Inch. Basically speaking, the Big Block got the Narrow and the Small Block got the Wide.

Here is a line from one of the experts on Chevytalk:

--"The big block spacer (thin) is for the wider radiator (4 core). If you have a small block with A/C, you also have the thin spacer and the larger radiator.

The small block radiator takes the 4" spacer, and only without air conditioning. It also has no fan shroud, just a finger guard on the radiator."--

Notice he states No Fan Shroud.

Here it is here 2nd post down:

https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/186099/

To add a little extra, I have had 13 '65 and '66 Cars here and I still have 11 of them. None of the '6's and Small Block have "Shrouds".

Not counting the 100 others of the hoods I've been under.

#7 ·
I'm not big into restoration so i don't know the definitive answer to this question. I can say a fan shroud will always improve the ability of the fan to move air at low speed.

From my meomory the base 283 and any six or four cylinder engine didn't have a fan shroud. All A/C and high horse cars had it. The problem with this definition is the 327 stradles the line with the base being rated at 275/300 horsepowr (same engine numbers changed or marketing reasons), and the 350 and 360/370 horse variants (the 360/370 was the same engine but the 370 only appeared in the Corvette so it's higher horsepower rating was again for marketing reasons.

Big Dave

#9 ·
I also maintained the city of Tampa water departments fleet of radio delete three in the tree four cylinder 1966 Biscayne two doors (14 of them) and in line six light trucks (another six). None of them had a shroud.

My mother's 283 four barrel powered 1965 Impala did have a shroud (but I never considered it high horse). being from Florida it also had factory air. (none of the biscaynes or C10 trucks had air with the city as they wanted their employees out of the vehicle working not enjoying time out of the sun and humidity in an air conditioned vehicle. My mother's 1968 Caprice had a 350 horse 327 and factory air so it had a four core radiator, motor oil cooler, power steering pump cooler, and an external automatic tranny oil cooler with a shroud.

But doing oil changes and maintenance work on customers cars I have seen a lot of B-body cars with and without shrouds. It may be it was a factor of were the cars were assembled as to whether a shroud was installed with cars built from the south were it is a lot warmer getting them and Yankee built cars from the North not so much. GM used to have a lot more assembly plants spread across the USA back in the sixties, compared to now where they have none.

Big Dave

#10 ·
I can remember when my father took his 68 Caprice to either get it inspected or for a wheel alignment and watching as a kid the mechanic rev the engine for some reason and the motor jumped up and the fan took out a huge Chunk from the shroud!! I wonder if a lot of those missing fan shrouds were from pre recall defective motor mounts?

#11 ·
Right, from about '66 on Fan Shrouds became Plastic and are known to crack or worse. Originals are pretty hard to find. The Steel '64 and earlier ones are much more common.

#13 · (Edited)
Back to the original question:

Yes and no. It depends. Was the car equipped with RPO K19 AIR equipment (smog pump, required in cars sold in CA)?, --> YES, the HD raditator and fan shroud is included.
You could also order the HD radiator separately --> RPO V01. This would include a fan shroud and clutch fan.
If the car did NOT have A/C, K19 or V01, no fan shroud.
Note on radiator spacers:
Cars with any of these options A/C, K19, V01, L35 (396) or L36 (427), got the thin 1½" radiator spacer.
Cars with 283 or 327 WITHOUT any of these options A/C, K19, V01, got the thick 4" radiator spacer and no fan shroud.

BTW, I've owned 2 1967 Impala SS convertibles factory equipped with 327 / TH400 / 12 bolt, no A/C or K19 --> thick 4" radiator spacer and no fan shroud.
On my current one, I added RPO V01 - HD radiator, with the thin 1½" radiator spacer, fan shroud and clutch fan.

#14 ·
while I didn't acquire my '67 Impala convertible with 283/PGlide and a/c until 1992, and it's been many years since I took it apart to start my 'restore', I seem to distinctly recall not having a fan shroud but having a 4" radiator spacer. I also seem to remember a crimped cable from the engine to (coil spring?) on the drivers side. this wall pre-digital camera so no pics unfortunately

#15 ·
If your motor was factory rated at over 300 horsepower it was also equipped with the heavy duty cooling option. As such on high horse small blocks and all big blocks you got a fan shroud.

If your car had factory Air Conditioning (as opposed to a dealer installed knee knocker under the dash) it was also equipped with heavy duty cooling which came with a fan shroud.

All Commercial vehicles, taxis and police cars were automatically equipped with heavy duty cooling so you can find a fan shroud there as well.

Heavy duty cooling option added another row of cooling tubes to the core were possible (four rows was the max for a copper brass radiator) so if hey couldn't add extra rows to the core they used a bigger (physically larger core with the same tanks soldered on) radiator and set it back from the core support with a spacer to provide sufficient air flow to cool the radiator. They also added extra blades to the fan to move more air at idle (four riveted together blades was the basic fan) so a HD cooling system could have five or seven blades on a fluid coupler to reduce fan speed (fans should never exceed 5,200 RPM).

Big Dave

#16 · (Edited)
I recently saw a 67 Impala w/396 (325hp) with no A/C or smog pump. It did NOT have a fan shroud. It did have the little fan protection plate welded to the top of the radiator, which is common on radiators w/o fan shrouds. It looked to be factory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.