Impalas.net banner

gauges in '65

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  dadstoy 
#1 ·
i hate having my gauges mounted on a panel screwed to the dash (hanging down), so I decided to build my own...that and i broke my clear plastic speedo cover when i was doing some rewiring earlier this year :sad:. i say prototype because i've already determined that i'm going to build another one because this one was off a little when the gaugle holes were drilled. i also didn't realize that the opening of the speedometer was that much larger on the passenger side than the driver side, enough to notice once you have a reference point inside. i already had the gauges and the sheet metal was fairly inexpensive & easy to work with. the smallest (electronic) speedo i can find is a 3 1/8 for a bike. the smallest/correct sports comp gauge is 3 3/8 :noway:-too big IMO - about an 1" of the gauge might be hidden plus i would have to spend about $300 just to see if its feasible. the gauges in the pics below are 2 5/8. i suppose i could buy a 2 1/8 volt for the left side, but then i would have 3 spare volt gauges...lol

wadda yall think? i'm looking for any kind of feedback or suggestions :thumbsup:

i didn't like the sheet metal look, so i painted it flat black:

what i'm trying to replace/avoid:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.