is this correct - Impala Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

is this correct

On my red 60 chevy the steering wheel has a very short horn chrome and the bezel around the radio has corrosion. Is the horn correct and is the bezel repairabl One other thing is the headlight chrome rings are very dull. Looking to fix these things up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-11-22-20-01-46_1574719993565.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	22876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-11-22-20-03-04_1574720042216.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	22878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-11-22-20-03-20_1574720083694.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	22880  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 08:04 PM

The Steering Wheel and Horn Cap is correct for your Biscayne. The Headlight Bezels are Aluminum with an Anodized coating. They are known to get dull in time. If you want to polish them, you will need to strip the Anodizing off first. Then you would have the choice of leaving them that way or getting them Re-Anodized. If you leave them that way, it's best to keep the car garaged and you would also need to keep them polished now and then. If your Radio is Manual (no Push Buttons) I have a pretty good used Radio Bezel available. It would be much cheaper to buy a good one rather than having your Bezel sent out to be Re-Chromed.

Bill

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Thank you BillT, I think the radio is manual, Please pm me about the bezel.I do not know all the differences between the biscayne and bel air, When my sister and brother had them we just called them 60 chevys. Are the headlight rings reproduced?. Its aways better to stay with the originals anyway.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2019-11-22-20-02-57_1574942665218.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	22896  

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Its aways better to stay with the originals anyway.
You got that right!

Problem with GM trim is it is either indestructible (within limits; for say stainless steel pieces of spears and window trim), to easily repairable (with aluminum that can be hammered out and buffed out again), to pot metal parts that corrode; pitting on their return to the natural ores that the individual metals that comprised them over time. You can lead fill the pits and rechrome the parts if they are big and smooth such as a headlight bezel, or tail light housing, but you have no choice but replacement parts for small intricate scripts.

Biscayne, Bel Air, Impala, Caprice are differentiated by the trim level, includinf interior materials to the amount of things you don't see such as sound deading and insulation to keep the cabin temperate (includes under hood insulation) to amenities like a mat in the trunk with a courtesy light. There were also different roof lines and trunk lengths across these models so they can not be totally recreated (upgraded) by just buying fancy trim when it comes time to restore the vehicle to concours quality. So changing the grill and adding chrome doesn't change the model in the eyes of many who know better.

I believe in Updating a car to modern standards where possible (there are not as many choices with a full size Chevy as there are for the more popular Camaro or the Chevelle). But with a GM most parts interchange (Corporate policy was to make one part and reuse it over and over again). The Corvette was just a bob tailed full size car up until 1964, when GM introduced the Saginaw steering gear box. So on early Chevys if you can not find a part you want reproduced look on a Corvette restoration site to get that same part (at a much inflated price). Keep in mind that a Cadillac is just an over priced Chevy with many parts interchanging (but once again you are going to pay a lot more for the same part because Corvette and Cadillac owners have deep pockets and the manufactures know it).

Because the full size is nearly half again as heavy as the smaller Chevy models things like ball joints, brakes, and tie rod diameters are larger on the Full Size. But they still share common parts with the Corvette and light pick up trucks. GM took the raw casting for a brake drum and drilled five larger diameter studs (or six studs) in the wheel hub and drum on a pick up, but the Full size on older models had shared the smaller five on 4 inch bolt pattern to match the wheels of other GM cars. Pick-up and Full Size differed only in machine work on many parts (so if you are willing to pay for a machine shop to work on it you can make it fit your car if it is a rare part). That is why I chose a pick-up radiator when it came to cooling my big engine out of a truck (it wasn't a bolt in I had to modify the lower mount lowering it to get the hood to close) but that is what hot rodding is all about. Just remember if you decide to use a disc brake off of a pickup or Covette to also use all of the parts that were on the donor vehicle (such as the master cylinder, proportioning valve off a truck because the 'vette doesn't have one with four wheel discs, and the residual vale). Bigger brakes such as 12 inch or bigger rotors will not fit inside a 14 inch wheel, so originality will suffer as you get a safer vehicle.

Big Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; 11-28-2019 at 01:26 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave
That is some very interesting information.so I have a 2 door biscayne and a four door bel air each with there own characteristics
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 06:18 PM

Brooksey,

PM sent.

Also, they are not re-producing any Headlight Bezels yet, last I heard anyway. The difference between the Bel-Air and the Biscayne is just the Trim level.

Bill

Member:

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Bill, you have a lot of parts, on my 4 door the lisense plate gas flap spring is broken, are these available?. The gentleman I got the 2 door from sent a ecklers catalog I will have to look through
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 08:01 PM

I don't believe the Spring itself is available. Some places seem to carry the whole Door assembly, but very few for some reason.

Member:

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 10:56 PM

Like I said in Nov of 1957 GM past an edict (at the board of directors meeting) that stated they would make do with only one part for every car and light truck that they made. It was why the 1958 Impala was a one year wonder because Chevy had to make their '59 out of the GM parts bin that all of the other name plates shared (only the motor was different between the companies). There could be a different exhaust port in a Buick fender or a stamped fake vent in a Pontiac fender as these were just an insert in a standard die used by all of the name plates. Because of this cars that are totally remanufactured today (such as the 1967-'69 Camaro) have parts that you might be able to use.

Does this look familiar?

https://www.camarocentral.com/1969_R...r_p/lic-12.htm

Big dave
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Friend, I will look into this part to see if I could use it. I was also thinking of looking for some small gas struts to mount on the existing bracket as a idea
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

I found this license plate bracket , what do you think of it
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Here is the picture of the bracket
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019-12-03 20_1575423129693.18.18.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	22902  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

This is the camero license plate bracket
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Camero bracket picture
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2019-12-03-20-35-28_1575427743044.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	22908  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 09:50 AM

There were some on E-bay that were selling them stating that they were for a "60 Impala".

Member:

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Thats where I found the first one .On another issue is there a app or shortcut to this forum, thanks, Bill
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 12:31 PM

Just about everyone uses Tap Talk; though that may only be my opinion because taptalk puts their name on the bottom of all of the cell phone posts that I see.

I much prefer a full 101 key board asz it gives me a better chance of actually hitting the key I want instead of the any of eight keys around it.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page