Low-tension hood hinge springs for fiberglass hood - Impala Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Low-tension hood hinge springs for fiberglass hood

Hi, newby here. I purchased a fiberglass hood for my 1970 Impala from VFN. I'm happy with the hood, but when I read the instructions, it said I needed low-tension springs for the hinges. I've found plenty of low-tension springs for smaller hoods (Camaro, Nova, etc.) but can't seem to locate them for an Impala. Does anyone know where I might find the low-tension hood hinge springs for an Impala? My understanding is they are the same from '63-'70.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 10:06 AM

John, give it a try with the stock springs. I have a glass hood on my 96 SS, and picked up F body lower tension struts that others said were needed with the hood. They would not hold it up. Went back to the B struts, and they're fine. If you do end up needing lower tension, you can likely make the Camaro ones work.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 11:11 AM

Like Jay said. The tension of the spring (or in Jay's case a gas filled strut) will depend upon the weight of your hood. There are usually two weights for aftermarket fiberglass, race weight and street weight that has three or more layers of glass in addition to mat to add strength to the hood. If it is a race weight I do not recommend hood hinges and a spring as it will bow and eventyualy break the hood. Use four hood pins instead and lift it off.

With race weight hoods be careful of the wind as if a gust comes along it could blow the hood off of the roof of your car at the gas station, or even pull it out of your hands as you pick it up. You can not lean it against the pumps for the same reason and resting a light weight hood on it's corners is a good way to break a corner off of the hood. Have a lot of experience with this issue.

On my Camaro L-88 fiberglass hood I used springs I found in a hardware store and used a length of light chain to extend the reach of the spring to hold the hood open. Had to experiment with different springs to get what I wanted. With my flip front end one piece fiberglass '55 Chevy and '70 Nova front ends I used a broom stick I kept on top of the cowl to hold it open.

Big Dave

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2020, 03:27 PM

Yes, I should mention my hood is a street hood, full glass inner support structure that mimics stock, and stock latch bolts on.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 01:42 AM

You can get the springs you need from tamraz’s on eBay. I also have a vfn fiberglass hood (bolt on) and the medium springs work great for my 68
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 08:49 AM
Team Member

Garage
Could also use billet hinges as they can be ordered with gas springs for fiberglass hoods. Yes, they're expensive but a failed repop hinge ruined my hood and the billet hinges work flawlessly.

1969 Impala convertible build thread here:
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ghlight=impala
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2020, 09:55 AM

Garage
I used these guys to rebuild my stock hinges. You might try giving them a call and see what springs they would recommend.
HoodHingeRepair.com

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page