'67 Roof Drip Rail Removal - Impala Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

'67 Roof Drip Rail Removal

I know this has been asked before and i have heard that the drip rails are just pressed on and to use a old bottle opener to remove them but it would seem like that could ruin them, is there any other way to remove the drip rails on a '67 or is that how its done mostly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 08:53 PM

My 65 has the same style drip moldings and they aren't all that difficult to remove. I took the weatherstrip channel off first and then the A-pillar trim. Once all of that is removed, I took a large flat screw driver and started at the front leading edge in the jamb area - underneath the molding where you don't really see it once everything is installed. I started to pry it off very slowly, using almost no force. Once you get the underside front corner to release, take both hands using only your finger tips to pull the molding out and up toward the roof of the car. The key is to just take your time, and don't try to rush. It probably took me about 10 minutes each side for removal, and did absolutely no damage. When you put them back on, start at the rear hooking the drip molding over top of the rail and press them around the face so the under side re-clamps itself on at the inner lip where you pried the front. It's honestly really easy to do - shut the cell phone off and lock the wife and kids out of the garage while you do this and you'll be fine! Good luck!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:22 PM

I did it the same as Fran. Also helps to spray the area with liquid penetrant. I think I used Liquid wrench or WD-40 as I went. Just take your time, it is much more scary thinking about doing it than it really is. Also you can find them for a reasonable cost if you really mess them up.

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page