First time on the site - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

First time on the site

Hello, this is my first time to visit the site but I have a couple of old Impala's so I guess I should be a member.
I'm Mearl McBride from Southern Missouri, I spent 20 years in the Air Force as a bomb loader, then retired and moved back home in 1995. I spent the next 12 years owning and operating trucks, mostly local hauling. In 2007 I let the fuel, insurance and anti trucking lawyers drive me out and took a job as a quality manager in a factory remanufacturing vending machines. I finally managed to escape that after 1,847 days and got on with world's largest lead recycler. That was OK until 2015 when the price of lead dropped 30% and they fired 30% of management. Since January 2016, I've been with Jasper Engines and Transmissions and am currently the transmission division manager at the Willow Springs, Mo. facility.
I've been collecting cars since I retired from the Air Force and currently have about a dozen. Several are finished and driveable while others are waiting their turn.
The ones I have that would interest you guys are a 61 Bubble top Impala, which I'm trying to build with a big block, quick ratio steering, vintage air and turbo 350. I also have a 63 hardtop with 409, 4 speed and bench seat interior. We also have a 67 and had several parts cars for it but will probably never get around to building it.
Thanks for having and me and sorry if I'm the longest winded new guy ever!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:55 PM

I addressed your steering gear box issues in your second post. I offer another option as you are more interested in performance than restoration. Ditch the X-frame altogether and buy a brand new perimeter frame to fit your car from one of the many chassis builders that offer them. Those frames use rack and pinion steering, have room for any engine and transmission combination, tubular front control arms with 12 inch Mustang Cobra disc brakes, and a stronger rear end (The aftermarket version of a Ford nine inch: but since no Ford parts are used, it is stronger than the 1956 design of Ford's nine inch). And the frame won't get in the way of steam roller sized tires. This stiffer frame allows for better handling and a lower ride height than the stock X-frame.

Big Dave
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 10:53 AM
BA.

Welcome to the site Mearl! Sounds like some nice cars in the collection. It's gotta be a certain kind of nostalgic fun driving the '63 409 4 speed!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page