Impalas.net banner

New to the forum

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Brandon Hendricks 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I have been recently looking for an impala wagon/ long roof. I found two that are in my area for sale but wanted to see if there were any for sale on here. For some reason when I open the classified ads it just redirects me to a new tab to the main forum page. Anyways below are the links to the ones I’m looking at. Let me know what you guys think of the price and what I should be looking out for when I go to look at them.

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/...nel\":503,\"value\":0,\"upsell_type\":null}"}

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/...nel\":503,\"value\":0,\"upsell_type\":null}"}

See less See more
#4 ·
Back when I was working on these cars they were either new or a recently purchased used car not a 50 year old car. So I am not familiar with were they rust out. We have a lot of members here who can advise you far better than me.

I can say that I have owned two vehicles with more than 300,000 miles on the odometer and they required a complete rebuilf from the frame up. So I doubt the mileage reported on the '70 Kingswood wagon.

Big Dave

#5 ·
Thanks for the info Big Dave. I’m hoping to find on that is a driver. Something I can still cruise with and upgrade as time goes on. There haven’t been many wagons that I have found in my area. I only found one or two on eBay. The Kingswood wagon is only about 30 miles away and the other is around 150 miles away.

#6 ·
Welcome to the site Joshua.

The wagons are certainly cool, a lot of people like them these days for the roominess, utility and cool factor. The tough part though is that those specialty trim and glass bits on the wagons are like hens teeth if you ever have to replace them.

I believe I've heard that the bottom of the wagon door is an issue for rust. Otherwise, normal spots behind the wheels like you mentioned. The only other thing that comes up from time to time, and is true for a lot of these 50 year old cars is checking the windshield area for signs of someone using RTV to seal things up. That's a sign of deeper issues you'll find later. Also, in rare cases, when under the car you can visually inspect the full perimeter frame to be sure it is solid. Some cars that sat in peoples yards for too long might show rust-through on the actual frame.

#7 ·
BA I had a 63 c10 that i Scrapped because the top of the windshield was completely rotted through. I called a body shop and the guy told me that I would have way too much money fixing the windshield then the truck was worth. Hence the 66 I got. The 63 I picked up sight unseen because I got it at an auction.

Thanks for the information. I’ll check those areas when I go to look at one.

#9 ·
I ended up going with the 70 Kingswood Wagon. Got it home earlier today and will need to start a list of minor repairs it needs but drive it home and didnt have any mechanical issues. Ill start a build thread soon.

Attachments

#10 ·
I have not seen a solid aftermarket for the 67 and up impalas yet as a whole. The biggest aftermarket seems to be the 63-64 Impalas, but then the wagon specific parts are the ones nobody makes. If I was looking for a wagon I would make sure all the wagon specific trim, body panels, and mechanics were present and use able (third row seat if you want one). You can always get most of the other parts off of a 4 door parts car, and if your lucky you might find someone using a 4 door as a parts car for a coupe and then you could sweep in and get a bunch of 4 door parts that will actually work on your car for a song.

#13 ·
It has a 350 with a power glide. The plan is to keep it stock until i work out all the little issues with it. The speedometer doesn't work, some of the lights don't work, radio not working. Im gonna start on that stuff but eventually the plan is to go the restomod route. Nothin crazy just a LS swap with a 6 speed automatic. Then id like to change the suspension to air ride.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.