Why is it impossible to find a 74 Sport Coupe - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Big Dave

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Why is it impossible to find a 74 Sport Coupe

New to this forum. Found you all through the miracle of the google machine.

My first car was my mom's 74 Sport Coupe. Sadly I let it get away from me after college. That was 30 years ago. I want it back (well, one like it as I know "mine" is long gone to the boneyard) and have been searching for a 74 Sport Coupe for a couple of years. I cant find one for sale. Lots of 73s. Never a 74. Why is that?

while i am asking... Now my son wants a classic car. He must have heard me talking about mine. I think he is settled in on a early 70s 2 door hard top as what he wants. Any advice? I see some 73 impalas out there and the 1st Gen Monte Carlo Has nice lines. What should I be looking for for us (besides my 74 noted above). And what should I be aware of/stay away from?

Thanks,

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 04:27 PM

Full disclosure: I own a 71. So keep that in mind as I comment.

The 71-76 are huge, and heavy. 71-76 have decreasing HP/Tq as emission requirements increased. They get bad mileage, and are big. Did I mention they are big? Even with taking the stairs out of the garage, my 71 wouldn't fit (and my 65 Impala did).

If it's a choice between a 74 (or any other 71-76 B) and an early Monte, go Monte. It will be a better car to drive, returning better mileage, better handling, and higher resale value. Chevelles and Novas (and the corresponding Pontiac/Olds/Buicks) would all be good options.

If you are set on a huge 70s sled... buy a Cadillac! More options to enjoy, and a 472 or 500 is a better engine than a smog era 350/400/402/454.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 04:49 PM

Have owned 5 different '71 and '72 Impala and Caprice cars through the years. Add my Son's '72, my Mother's '71 and a friend's '72 makes 8 I've been around, lol.

Although they have a couple of weaknesses, they are great cars. Tough as nails and long lasting to boot.

Not to take away from a Chevelle (we had one of them too) or Monte, but I like full size cars the best. Presently have a '72 Impala available (4-Dr Sedan).

I also like '73's, but never had one. The '71 and '72's are my favorites, more horsepower, less pollution controls, etc.

By the way, my last '72 (350, 2-Barrel) was getting about 24 MPG Hi-way.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 07:04 AM

Welcome to the site!

I really can't help you with why no 74 sport coups are available, I'm an early 60's X Frame guy.

As far as getting your kid something, the first question is what are his skills and what skills is he willing to learn? What are your skills and what are you willing to figure out as you go? Also what kind of room and tooling do you have to work with. I'm learning autobody the hard way with my daughter on a 63 Hardtop Pro Street car. Luckily as a Pro Street car you get a lot of flexibility in the body work that you would not have on a frame off restoration. We just about have the firewall ready. I've been playing with the passenger side front rocker area as it is not re manufactured, so I get to put my metal fab skills to work making something functional that will look good when the car is all together. Granted with a 70's car you can find lots of cars still available that are not rusted out, but you will probably pay for them. Also I don't see a lot of aftermarket sheet metal in place for mid 70's cars like you do the early 60's.

I will say trying to learn Auto body processes while also having to try and teach an anxious teen is difficult. I don't get nearly enough time behind the mig gun as I would like to perfect my skills, but for some reason when it comes time for the grinding wheel things come up and she can't help out at that time.

1963 Impala Convertible (Frame off resto-mod in progress)
1963 Impala 2 door hardtop (Pro Street build in progress)
1963 Impala 4 door hardtop (Parts car)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2020, 02:05 PM

Lot of changes in 1974. Some where mandated by the feds for safety as well as changes to make the car meet CAFE numbers. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
In 1974, the rear bumper was redesigned with shock absorbers to meet the upgraded standards and new tail lights were featured. The front end was also freshened as in previous years, with a new grille and headlight bezels, a new header panel, and a bumper with a drop down center section. The marker lights moved back up beside the headlamps once again. This was the only year of the 1971–1976 models the Impala had a different front end design than the Caprice Classic, as other years used either a grille insert or previous year Caprice front to distinguish the two. The roof lines of the Impala coupes were also revised. For 1974 the Custom Coupe was no longer a hardtop, with large fixed rear quarter glass and a thick B-pillar. The Sport Coupe, still a pillar-less hardtop, now used larger roll-down quarter glass like that of the 1971–1973 Custom Coupe, and had a narrower, fastback style, flat back window.

The 2-door hardtop model (dubbed the "Sport Coupe") was discontinued after 1975, leaving redesigned Custom Coupe, with its wide "B" pillar and fixed rear window, the only 2-door Impala available in 1976. This body style had been introduced for the 1974 model year, a precursor to Detroit's complete abandonment of pillarless body styles before the end of the Seventies.
Might add this was the year the 262 V8 was introduced (the worst SBC ever made), and lasted for three years before being discontinued. A 400 SBC was the biggest engine offered, with most buying the 350 out of fear of rumors of the 400 either over heating (it didn't) or the heads cracking (a few did).

Big Dave
62BillT likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 LT Capts View Post
New to this forum. Found you all through the miracle of the google machine.

My first car was my mom's 74 Sport Coupe. Sadly I let it get away from me after college. That was 30 years ago. I want it back (well, one like it as I know "mine" is long gone to the boneyard) and have been searching for a 74 Sport Coupe for a couple of years. I cant find one for sale. Lots of 73s. Never a 74. Why is that?

while i am asking... Now my son wants a classic car. He must have heard me talking about mine. I think he is settled in on a early 70s 2 door hard top as what he wants. Any advice? I see some 73 impalas out there and the 1st Gen Monte Carlo Has nice lines. What should I be looking for for us (besides my 74 noted above). And what should I be aware of/stay away from?

Thanks,

Bill
depends on how many were produced, how desirable they were, and how well kept. I have a 65 and 67 Impala convertible, the 65's were extremely popular and still are which is why you can find them. the 67? I have found TWO while searching the country, the rear quarter sheetmetal is unique to this year (as are almost every year), hardtop quarters are not the same.

as for your son, that covers a lot of years and makes and models! Ford, Chevy, Dodge, AMC; camaro, mustang, cougar, roadrunner, superbee, impala, corvette, charger, challenger, barracuda, nova, chevelle, el camino, ranchero, maverick, torino, javelin, amx, etc, the list goes on! do you want to work on Ford, MoPar, or SBC engines? are you wanting to do "easy" upgrades? stay within the marque family. are you going stock, resto-mod, Street/Strip, Pro Street?

if he's not sure, have him watch
https://www.google.com/search?q=yout...+guys+car+show

and

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...C0C916CECEA3BC

are you looking for a lot of swap parts and interchangeability? the full-size Chevy may not be best option. I've also got an '86 El Camino (G-body) and those have a TON of swap parts like nobody's business!

and most importantly, how much work does he want to put in?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 08:28 AM

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9542659094472/

Here is a 72 coupe... NOT affiliated...land Yacht!

Ted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page