Trim Tag 1962 Impala - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Trim Tag 1962 Impala

Hi Im new to this site, I have a 1962 Impala SS convertible that has Factory style air. I was wondering if this was a real air car. Is there a code on the acc tag that shows? Also if there is whats the code? Or where do I find out? I have figured out its a real convertible SS on the tag but thats it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 07:44 PM

Welcome to the Team Mike!

Harrison, or Frigidaire compressor with cast iron brackets with GM casting numbers on them, a fiberglass case on the fire wall with a huge hole in the fire wall for air flow of outside air (aftermarket bores two small holes in the fire wall just for the hoses to pass through, no outside air ducting), and vents in the dash (not a knee knocker hung under the dash) along with tinted window glass indicate a factory A/C car.

Factory air was rare in '62 but they were offered as an option. Most were dealer installed A/C units with York compressors and stamped steel flat brackets (except for the welded platform the compressor sat upon).

Trim tag should have group two letter code "E" if it had factory air conditioning.

Big Dave
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Dave!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Dave Im new to this , is it supposed to say group2 E? Or is it second line. I just need to educate myself . Thank you!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2020, 10:28 PM

It will have three lines of info. then towards the bottom of the tag it will start with a 1 and a bunch of letters where each letter is a group one option. then it will have a 2 and some letters if you have a heavily optioned car it could have a 3, a 4, and a 5.

That is basically five pages of letters and a description of what each option code describes in a book that decodes trim tag information.

Big Dave
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2020, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2020, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Dave here is my tag , I think Im out of luck?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0802.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	23930  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 10:39 PM

Interesting facts about the rare trim tag.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 07:57 AM

Not all options made it to the trim tag during assembly. Sometimes they would get a change order as a car was going down the line and have to add an option on the fly. Other times they guy who was setting up the trim tag stamping tool was just lazy and didn't want to change out all the dies for each car. The trim tag was after all the final touches to the vehicle and not what they used to build the car as it came down the assembly line. They used the build sheet as it came down the assembly line.

1963 Impala Convertible (Frame off resto-mod in progress)
1963 Impala 2 door hardtop (Pro Street build in progress)
1963 Impala 4 door hardtop (Parts car)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadwolf View Post
Not all options made it to the trim tag during assembly. Sometimes they would get a change order as a car was going down the line and have to add an option on the fly. Other times they guy who was setting up the trim tag stamping tool was just lazy and didn't want to change out all the dies for each car. The trim tag was after all the final touches to the vehicle and not what they used to build the car as it came down the assembly line. They used the build sheet as it came down the assembly line.
Actually it was usually a girl in the steno pool typing the tags from paper work piled on her desk. Each of GM's plants turned out more than 347 cars a day. She put the tags in a very heavy duty typewriter that stamped the steel tags as she pressed each key on the QWERTY keyboard.

Omissions were frequently due to her getting rushed or distracted (like talking about Young Dr Kildare, Ben Casey, or I love Lucy). Rarely is every option that appeared on the window sticker ever recorded on the trim tag.

There are people on line that will print out a new trim tag with any options you may want (perfectly legal, though purist frown on doing so).

Big Dave
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi Im new to this site, I have a 1962 Impala SS convertible that has Factory style air. I was wondering if this was a real air car. Is there a code on the acc tag that shows? Also if there is whats the code? Or where do I find out? I have figured out its a real convertible SS on the tag but thats it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Mike
Mike,
Normally there would be a code for factory air conditioning on the ACC line, but the line is filled up with other codes so perhaps there just wasn't room for the "AC" code. The only way you'll know for sure is to remove the air box from the firewall and see if the large hole is die stamped or cut by Bubba with a saw.

The tags were stamped by a Fisher Body line worker on an Address-o-graph machine. And factory air cars did not automatically come with tinted glass. That was a separate option.

Verne
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 09:11 PM

To my knowledge A/C only shipped with tinted windows. The Code EZW indicates that only the front wind screen was tinted not all the way around. as such I doubt if this is a factory air car.

It is very evident if it is a factory air car, as opposed to a dealer installed option of a knee knocker, by looking for the factory air vents in and under the dash, and at the air box attached to the fire wall. the factory A/C units were huge as it had to have room for both a heater core and an evaporator with air doors to blend the cold and hot air to get "Climate Control".

Big Dave
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 04:08 PM

Glass

Neither tinted windshield nor tinted glass were included in 1962 with A/C. One exception is when A/C was ordered in a 62’ Belair Sport Cpe, tinted rear window was required.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

Last edited by fsc66; 08-31-2020 at 08:21 AM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 09:34 AM
Banned

I am new and just joined it before 5 minute. This is my first post here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page