1965 ss - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

1965 ss

Since I had a break from school this march I finally convinced my dad to let me get a project car. We looked at a couple in Oklahoma but ended up driving to Detroit to get this one. It is a numbers matching 1965 SS with a 396 and 4 speed originally in Cyprus green with black interior.

The car was purchased new by the previous owners uncle and parked in a barn around 73 where it sat till the previous owner bought it and sent it to a body shop around 2007 where it had the major rust repair done and the frame and window seats sandblasted. During this time the motor and trans were rebuilt. It then sat for for a few years at the body shop before getting moved to the garage we bought it out of.

Since we bought someones else's project we got to deal with the fun little surprises like half the wiring being gone, the entire car (including the interior) being covered in over spray, and a few hack jobs in the rust repair.

over the summer we replaced the trunk floors and the floor pans, redid all of the front bushings, converted it to front disks, new fuel system, dual master cylinder power brakes, re wired the engine bay, new heater core, converted it to power steering, updated it with a new Holley double pumper, msd ignition, and hooker headers. very triumphant day to drive it under its own power before I had to go back to school.

Next steps I think are for us to undercoat the new floor pans, rebuild the back drums, parking break, and insulate the inside this winter break.

The interior is original and cleaned up from the over spray nicely, it seems pretty brittle and I was curious if there is anything thing people know about that I could use to clean it a bit more and help it last being used again.

(I used the drag and drop for the pictures and it says that i exceed the file limit size. if it doesn't work ill post them a different way.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200503_111701.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	23986   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200718_144630.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	23988   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200503_111803.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	23990  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 06:26 PM

Welcome to the Team!

I agree on the interior. I don't think you can even see the dash gauges. Good news is the clear plastic cover is reproduced (I think).

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 11:25 PM

well, I can see the round instrument cluster lens on pg44 of the Impala Bob catalog at bluetoad.com/publication/?m=43687&i=339992&p=44, part# T2244, but no other lens.

but looking at Hubbard's I see
impalaparts.com/65ILK

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2020, 11:02 PM
BA.

super clean engine bay and frame. nice!

I'm not confident what can be used on older vinyl, but, I'm aware of the VLR product that Mothers came out with a couple of years ago to "...clean, condition and protect....vinyl, leather, rubber....". I do use it on my black vinyl seats in my 66 convertible.

Sounds like you need something stronger though, assuming it's possible to bring softness back to old vinyl. Good Luck though!!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page