Impalas.net banner

big block

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Dot 
#1 ·
hello, i am new to the site. just signed on tonight. looks like a very good site. i am doing a frame off restoration of a 64 ss impala. i would like to replace the 327 with a 502 big block, i will also be replacing the powerglide with a 4 or 5 speed trans. my question is what is required for motor mounts? will the 502 mounts bolt to the mounting brackets that are on the chassis now? does anyone make a conversion kit to adapt a big block to the original chassis mounts? same question for the trans mounts. thanks for any help.

#3 ·
Yes goes in the same way the 327 came out.

Just be sure to use new interlocking motor mounts or that big block will roll over like a wounded hippo the first time you step on the gas. And since you are still using the same fixed throttle rod that GM used up until 1968, you will be in for a fun ride for as the motor rolls it pulls the throttle wide open.

That is why GM redesigned all the motor mounts in 1969 (all parts houses will give you the wrong size motor mounts for your car because of the recall) and changed the motor mount dimensions from those of the 1958-1968 cars so the mechanic would know he has the wrong mounts. Of course GM again changed the design to a clam shell and went to a throttle cable in 1973 to fix the problem, and removed another source of fun (darn you Ralph Nader).

Big Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.