Hi. just doing a google search and found the site. Im building a 61 Impala convertible from the ground up, so far doing it all myself. This is my first attempt at a car this bad since it was had been sitting in a ditch for the past 20 plus years.
this is about where Im at with it now 7 months later thanks to a donor 62 buick convertible and two 4 door 61 Bel Air donor cars.
Im about ready to start on the floors then I will have the car blasted.
Welcome to the board. Looks like you are making progress. Keep us updated.
Thanks. heres a quick rundown of what Im doing.
I know some of my welding isnt the greatest due to lack of experience but Im getting better as I go. 61 Impalas are my favorite year and I always wanted a convertible but a descent driver runs 25 grand and up. I figured as long as it was a vert I will do whatever it takes to fix it.
As for the car itself, It was pulled from a ravine up in Lawton Oklahoma. It had another car drug over the top of it so basically it was bad. With a couple donor cars I am determined to fix it. Anyways heres some pics and I will post more as I go.
Heres some pics of the floor, once I cleaned it out.
This is the 4 door I picked up for $700. Buying a parts car is the best thing I could have ever done because it tells me how everything is put together and I have never tore into a 61 before. :0 Look at them solid *** rear quarters. This bitch is getting sawzalled for reals.
After cutting the donor out of that buick ragtop, I had to disassemble it. 10 million spotwelds it seemed like, took forever This was the hard part because since I was going to be using this part, it had to be really nice and I couldnt go crazy risking it getting all screwed up.
after a quick test fit, theres a couple edges I will grind down and it should drop right into place.
The next thing I will do is rust proof the rail and the back side of the panel with POR 15 to keep it from ever rusting.
Luckily all 61-62 GM made verts use the same exact vert parts so I found this 62 buick convertible on craigslist that I used for the vert ****, windows, top mechanism. It was on Craigs list for $1000, I talked him down to $500
The cool thing is I already sold **** I didnt need on ebay to the buick people and made $428 so its like I only paid $75 for all the stuff I needed.
I wanted to make sure the windshield post still lined up square
header bow lines up okay but that is the OG header bow so its kinda messed up. plus it has some small rust issues. Hopefully I will find a nicer one. Me and my buddy John tried our best to straighten this one out.
finally before I called it quits.. Im going to dismantle the rack and have it powdercoated.
I bumped up from .025 wire to .30 gauge and bumped the heat up a little to make sure everything penetrated. Last thing I need is the windshield post to crack on me later down the road. No more Cold Welds!
same on the passenger side...
finally finished this...
also finished up on that quarter panel finally.
finished up the fire wall welding also. I will finish grinding this.
finally finished up the top of the drivers side quarter panel. Its been sitting there tack welded for weeks and I got sick of looking at it like that. I will start on the lower patch panel and that rusted out area tomorrow if Im lucky.