New member with a 66 Impala SS - Impala Tech
Welcome Forum New to the site? Introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

New member with a 66 Impala SS

Hi guys, as the title says, I'm the excited new owner if a genuine 66 impala SS. She a numbers matching, 396, 4 Spd, 12 bolt posi rear and a genuine 51 thousand miles. She's marina blue (1 respray some time ago) with a blue interior, the exact color combo I was looking for. It's got the factory gauge pack, factory tach, power steer, tilt, power drum brakes, Opticlean bottle and bumper over riders. The only mods are aftermarket headers and the 7" and 8" corvette rallies, which I really like. Ii also has a chevelle or corvette steering wheel of the same era, I'll be searching for a genuine impala wheel to replace at some stage. Apart from that, I'll be keeping her stock and cruising the pants off her!!
It's my second 66, my wife drove a 4 door hardtop in the 90's as our family car. It was a great cruiser and wish we never sold it. Just love these old girls, with the long wheelbase and four coil suspension.
I've also had a number if 55 Chevies over the years.
Looking forward to this forum for info and keeping track on what others are doing with their impalas.
Cheers for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 06:22 PM

Hi Matt, Welcome. Wow a 396, 4 speed car. You sound like a happy man.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 08:43 AM

It sounds like you got one loaded with all the right goodies, Now go out and smoke them tires.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 08:38 PM

good to see another '66! Welcome to the site man.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Yeah thanks guys. I haven't actually picked her up yet, should arrive on Thursday. it just got the customs all clear this morning.
Been waiting four months since I layed down the money. That's the price we have to pay for living down under.
I'm actually looking forward to seeing what a 396/4spd is like in a big car like the impala.
We had a 327/t350 in our last one, it was a great cruiser, but I reckon the 396'll be more fun!
Later.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 11:02 PM
BA.

Sounds beautiful man, I'm jealous.

Get us some pics when she gets in!

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Well she arrived this arvo. I'm really impressed. Some minor scrapes on the hood from transit. Overall, this old girl,is awesome. So original, but have since found out the motor, Muncie and clutch have all been recently rebuilt. All gauges have been restored ( even the clock works) and its been sitting in a climate controlled warehouse for nine years, having been owned by a collector. Awesome!!
Goes in for its registration check next week where they inspect for any defects. They're sure to find something.......they always do. After that, it's cruising time!
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 07:06 AM

Glad it finally arrived, and your satisfied with the car.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 12:02 PM

Pics or it didn't happen!

Sounds like an awesome find. Congrats and have fun with it. I have a 66 myself, base model not an SS. I still love it.

Chris
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Here she is, fully registered. Ready to cruise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	2779  
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 10:29 PM

You guys sure get some nice US cars down under.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 11:06 PM
BA.

Love that color, looks like Marina Blue.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA. View Post
Love that color, looks like Marina Blue.
Correct.....marina blue, with bright blue interior. I looked long and hard for that color combo with a genuine big block/4speed and ended up with this one. Very happy. I wanted either marina blue or tahesian turquoise.
It's now registered and Ive hardly been out of the thing since. My wife thinks I'm crazy.....lol
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 03:45 PM

That is amazingly clean!

Keep us posted on any mods you might do to it.

Chris
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks SD, not much I really have to do to it. But I need to find another top grille as mine was damaged in transit. I'd also like to fit a standard impala steering wheel cos its currently got a corvette or camaro wheel fitted.

Apart from that, I just want it 2" lower and a bit noisier, it's gotta have the quietest exhaust I've ever heard. Even though its running hooker ceramic coated headers and a two and a half inch twin system.

Suspension seems to float along, I'd like it a tad firmer, which hopefully will happen when I lower it and fit shorter travel shocks.
Cheers.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 09:23 PM

If you put shorter travel shocks on it's more likely just to bottom, not to make it firmer. You'll have to put firmer shocks and springs in if you want it to ride firmer. These cars are made to float, so there's only so much you can do without going to coilovers or something like that.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05snopro440 View Post
If you put shorter travel shocks on it's more likely just to bottom, not to make it firmer. You'll have to put firmer shocks and springs in if you want it to ride firmer. These cars are made to float, so there's only so much you can do without going to coilovers or something like that.
Lowered coils will tighten the old girl up a bit. I want to fit the shorter travel shocks to try and stop the lower/shorter coils from falling out when shes jacked up. I've found in the past that the lowered coils are a fair bit firmer than stock and will stop a fair amount of the USS Nimitz sort of handling/floating.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 08:06 AM

USS Nimitz sort of handling/floating. LOL, Thats the most fun part of these old boats.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 07:48 PM

Clock

So your car has the optional on top of dash clock?

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

Last edited by fsc66; 10-31-2013 at 07:33 AM. Reason: spellig
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Well I've had this old girl for a while now. I love it!!
Since getting her registered and on the road, if replaced the exhaust, from the headers back. It's now 2.5" all the way, twin system with a balance pipe. This made a real good performance improvement because the one we took off went from 2.5" up front to a 2" at the rear? Why they did that, I'm not sure, but it made the car very quiet and it seemed like it was choking. So the full 2.5" has made an awesome difference in both performance and sound.
I've also lowered it all round only slightly and she now looks a lot better.
Just had the thing dynoed yesterday, new plugs, leads and the Rochester rejetted 'cos she was running waaaay too lean.
Just gonna continue to cruise the hell out of it now that she's running nicely. May also look at a brake upgrade from the factory boosted drums. I'm not keen on just putting those single piston caliper kits everyone is pushing. It's a big car and I reckon twin piston calipers on the front is a minimum requirement. I'd be interested to hear others views on that.
Cheers.
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 10:00 AM

Great car and I can understand your excitement. I have a '66 SS 396 turquoise/turquoise convertible but it's an automatic. Because it's an auto it doesn't have the tach so I followed the instructions in the '66 accessory manual and installed a "knee knocker" tach.

You mentioned brake upgrades. I think front disc brakes for these big boats is a must if you are going to compete on the road with modern cars. I have posted this link before as it is the only one I found that allows me to keep my stock 14" wheels, have a zero offset and get drilled and slotted rotors. If you are willing to go a larger wheel size you can get anything you want, just scroll through the pages.

http://www.abspowerbrake.com/maincatalog_frameset.html

Also you can squeeze a little more performance out of the engine if you ditch the points distributor for an HEI setup and map the timing. I have the MSD 8360 HEI distributor that is stand alone and doesn't need a control box. It also has a built in rev limiter. You will get better performance, easier starts, smoother idle and better throttle response. I have my timing mapped to the chart "E" in the MSD 8360 instructions. If you follow those instructions and set your timing per the attached instructions in this link you will get a very noticeable improvement in performance and driveability.

http://www.corvetteforum.org/techtip...=109&TopicID=3

Enjoy the car.

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 10:28 AM

Whether you use one big piston that is free floating (It applies all of the pressure to one side of the rotor, and it pulls the other pad against the back side of the rotor as it pushes off the front of the disc) or a fixed bridge that contains for to six smaller pistons; the total area that your brake line pressure pushes against is the same.

The full float single piston disc brake is cheaper to make which is why GM went to that design when they offered disc brakes on all cars back in 1969 (before that they were available only on a few cars as an option; though standard equipment on the Corvette since 1965). When disc brakes where offered on other cars before 1969 GM used Girling fixed bridge four piston calipers liker they installed on the Corvette.

You can use four piston third generation Camaro fixed bridge PBR brakes with a 13 inch rotor (also used on the Corvette with 15 inch rotors after they dropped Girling), or the current six piston fixed bridge Corvette brake that GM now buys from Brembo on your car or Wilwood, or Baer aftermarket brakes (also fixed bridge with two, four, or six piston brake kits). The current Brembo brakes are in a metric size so I don't know how big they are in inches but they are huge.

http://www.carid.com/2005-chevy-corv...FQdk7Aod2xMAhA

Big Dave
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducfat View Post
Here she is, fully registered. Ready to cruise.
That's a very nice example of what the mid-60s was all about. Sweet car; sweet colour. I like that you used '67 rally centres rather than the '68 and later. Looks great.

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 06:28 PM

I'd like to see more photos if you have them.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 09:00 PM

great optioned and good looking 66!! Love that color combo!

1965 impala 2dr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page