64 2dr HT with wheel hop - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

64 2dr HT with wheel hop

I have a nice looking 64....Currently with a warmed up 350, a muncie 4 sp. and a 4.10 posi rear end. I get an extreme amount of wheel hop when accerlerating from astop. Last summer I replaced all the shocks...no change. My next option would be a rear stabilizer or traction bar....Has anyone else has this problem?
A friend said it is due to the rear coil springs....
What would you all do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2007, 11:26 AM

Put in some new bushings. Is the back of the car higher than stock? If so lower it.

Jim

77 Monte
385- AFR 190's Clay Smith solid--200-4r w/ 3.73's
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
http://myweb.midco.net/77cruiser/
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

all stock suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 cruiser View Post
Put in some new bushings. Is the back of the car higher than stock? If so lower it.
My car is all stock except for the engine and transmission. I think I would rather put in traction bars than just replace the bushings and have the problem come up again after time and use. An suggestions on this?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 06:50 PM

3 or 4 link ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquebrett View Post
I have a nice looking 64....Currently with a warmed up 350, a muncie 4 sp. and a 4.10 posi rear end. I get an extreme amount of wheel hop when accerlerating from astop. Last summer I replaced all the shocks...no change. My next option would be a rear stabilizer or traction bar....Has anyone else has this problem?
A friend said it is due to the rear coil springs....
What would you all do?
I have a 64 with the same set up & I have no problems. Im wondering whether you have a 3 or 4 link rear end set up . mines a 4 link.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 12:32 PM

Do you have heavy duty springs in the rear? Stiffer springs (or air shocks) tend to make wheel hop worse, you might try a pair of softer springs.

Bob
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

I think mine is a three link system....It has tow lower control arms, and one control arm on top of the rear axle, but it also has a panard bar going across the back side of the rear axle.
As for the springs ...I dont know ...how do I tell if they are heavy duty....I am sure that they are factory originals. No air shocks....just factory replacements from Oreillys.
I have decided to replace the bushings on the rear end....where should I get them for the best price?
Brett
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 08:26 PM

I got mine from P.S.T. you can get either rubber or poly.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 11:31 PM

Wheel hop is a combination of all of the above (tire pressure and compound, spring rate too hard/soft; worn control arm bushings or using polypropylene bushings that bind; and having shocks that are too firm or not firm enough) I need to add to this is a built in design problem called a jet smooth ride. You may need to raise the attachment point of the upper rear control arm on the axle end to point your torque where it will do the most good (transferring weight to the rear tires).

Sounds easy huh?. You will need to evaluate what is actually going on by having someone tape your launch (hopefully with a camera that has a slow motion option). Then change only one thing at a time to see what the effects are.

I would start with the control arm bushings because that wheel hop applies upon sudden braking as well and could be a safety issue.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page