State Patrol car - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7
 
State Patrol car

New guy here with a few questions on a car I found.

I found a Mo State patrol car,the emission sticker say 1990 for use in canada,it's the 80s style.
What trans did these have 200r4 or 700r4?Did these have a 8.5 rear and will it fit a A body car?What ratio were the rears?Was the motor 350 or 305s? Thanks thanks for the help!

Eric
Blue '66 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 10:06 AM
1964 Impala Dude is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7
 
Thanks!
Blue '66 is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 08:54 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,759
 
Welcome to the board Eric.

1990 was the last of the 1977-1990 body style before they went to the inverted bath tub for better mileage. A 305 or 350 motor size will be labeled on the radiator core support as either 5.0L or 5.7L. They shipped both size motors. The 305 is the HO with "E" heads that have bigger ports and smaller chambers than the usual 305 motor. Tranny should be the 200R4, and the rear end will be the 8.5 inch rear with an open differential and 2.73:1 rear gears being common with a 3.05:1 being the steepest they offered without a towing package. The 8.5 will bolt into an A-body but it is three inches wider than the Chevelle rear end so you will need some creative wheel offsets to get it to fit. Also the B has the springs mounted to the axle and the A-body mounts them on the lower control arms. So all of the bracketry will have to change.

If it is a 9C1 car it will have an electric trunk release, oil cooler, tranny fluid cooler, and a P/S fluid cooler installed. Remote left and right hand mirrors and a knob on the dash like a manual choke to set the idle to a fast speed to keep the 185 Amp alternator spinning at a higher speed to power the "auxiliary" lights. It should also have a radio delete plate where the "juke" radio went in a passenger car. The chassis will have HD radiator, HD Shocks, 12"x1" vented disc front brakes, and 11"x 2" rear drum brakes with special HD steel wheels to clear the larger disc brakes mounting on a 5" bolt circle with 1/2" wheel studs instead of the normal 7/16th inch studs mounted on a 4-3/4 inch bolt circle.

Big Dave
Big Dave is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7
 
Thanks Big Dave!So either 305 or 350 engine should have the 200r4s?(hope)I there a code the indentifies the tranny?
Would the 185 amp alt. be used on a A body?
Blue '66 is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 08:26 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,759
 
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue '66 View Post
Thanks Big Dave!So either 305 or 350 engine should have the 200r4s?(hope)I there a code the indentifies the tranny?
Would the 185 amp alt. be used on a A body?
The alternator is off of a big diesel truck. It is the special brackets that allow you to mount such a large frame alt. on the car not the body it goes into. The 200R4 looks different from the 700R4 go to any tranny site on line and you can see the graphical differences.
Big Dave is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
The alternator is off of a big diesel truck. It is the special brackets that allow you to mount such a large frame alt. on the car not the body it goes into. The 200R4 looks different from the 700R4 go to any tranny site on line and you can see the graphical differences.
Thanks Dave,I was hoping to I.D the tranny without crawling under the car.Mo's been dang cold when I have been there the last 2 times.Next time will be after christmas.I'm just going to have to suck it up!
Blue '66 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Richfield, Oh
Posts: 71
 
data on the rear

Pretty sur eth edata on the rear being 3" wider is wrong.

The sedans and police will be only off by about a 1/16 on the axle length.


THE wagons are MUCH wider and this is where I think the info you have is the 3" I will double check the measurement tonight. I have them on the rack.

The disc break rear is only a 1" over all wider for that option.

SO basically I would say you are safe with the rear trade off. Esspecially if your going with after market rims . The trade off of even 1" FOR DISC BREAKS I would say is huge for performance.


Good luck and the info will be up tonight.

Watch for some of the larger flange patterned axle end rears from caddys and buick may have a wider mounting control are span there is about a 2" width difference wider on the control arm mounting brackets.

MEASURE twice and buy once....lol.

J D RACE & RESTORATION
Richfield, Oh
JDRACE.COM
monzaz is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by monzaz View Post
Pretty sur eth edata on the rear being 3" wider is wrong.

The sedans and police will be only off by about a 1/16 on the axle length.


THE wagons are MUCH wider and this is where I think the info you have is the 3" I will double check the measurement tonight. I have them on the rack.

The disc break rear is only a 1" over all wider for that option.

SO basically I would say you are safe with the rear trade off. Esspecially if your going with after market rims . The trade off of even 1" FOR DISC BREAKS I would say is huge for performance.


Good luck and the info will be up tonight.

Watch for some of the larger flange patterned axle end rears from caddys and buick may have a wider mounting control are span there is about a 2" width difference wider on the control arm mounting brackets.

MEASURE twice and buy once....lol.
Thanks!The wheel bolt patterns are 5 x5 right?Would it be possible to change axles with 5x4 3/4?Not sure if the rear is disk or drum.Even the 11"rear drums would be nice.I have the stock late '66 GTO 8.2 rear.
Blue '66 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,759
 
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue '66 View Post
Thanks!The wheel bolt patterns are 5 x5 right?Would it be possible to change axles with 5x4 3/4?Not sure if the rear is disk or drum.Even the 11"rear drums would be nice.I have the stock late '66 GTO 8.2 rear.
1990 rear end will have a drum brake. 1991-up will be disc brake on rear. Three inch wider axle length refers to difference between A-body and the B-body. The Impala (B-body) is a bigger car than the Chevelle (A-body) that is why the axle is wider. If you want a 4-3/4" x 5 bolt pattern you can drill the flanges of the rear axle and press in new wheel studs (9C1 police cars have a 5" 0n 5 bolt pattern with bigger studs).

Big Dave
Big Dave is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome