motor power - Impala Tech
Performance Our High Performance Area

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2008, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

motor power

Hello,
I'm new to this forum and looking for some help.

I bought a 1967 Impala conv with out a motor but everything else was there. steering wheel, trans, wheels.

I bought a 454 to put in the impala after I clean it up. I'm going to put the impala back to original (off frame) but wanted something alittle different under the hood.

Any advises would be greatly helpful. This will be the first car done without my my friend's help who die.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 10:12 AM
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 05:55 PM

Welcome to the board Rick!

Everything you need to drop in a BBC is available in parts stores or as a repop (except for year specific cast iron exhaust manifolds). The motor will drop in once you get the car ready for it, as it was available with either the 396 and 427 in 1967 as an option. So long as the motor is running now it will fit nicely with your choice of engine decal.

The car will probably need an upgrade to the cooling system (unless this car had factory A/C), and you might want to consider sway bars and new shocks for the front end as you will be adding another 260 pounds over the nose (unless you lighten the load with aluminum heads, intake manifold, and water pump). Consider an aluminum radiator as well as it sheds another 40 pounds and is a better choice in many ways over the old brass one.

Big Dave

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67bnconv View Post
Hello,
I'm new to this forum and looking for some help.

I bought a 1967 Impala conv with out a motor but everything else was there. steering wheel, trans, wheels.

I bought a 454 to put in the impala after I clean it up. I'm going to put the impala back to original (off frame) but wanted something alittle different under the hood.

Any advises would be greatly helpful. This will be the first car done without my my friend's help who die.

Rick
Good luck. It's pretty simple install.
What motor did the car come with?
How much HP is the new motor?
What transmission is it?
What rear end?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

1967 caprice

The car had a 327. I bought a 454 motor from a rebuilder but I'm doing a few things my self to the motor like porting, making sure the bottom end can hold up to 100 to 150 shot of nitrous.

I'm going to change the timing chain to gears and a electric water pump and fuel pump. I'm staying with the automatic trans. The rear end I want something for highway but will hold it's curb to curb or quarter mile.

If there's any or idea's that could help feel free to ask or say them.

Rick
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 05:47 PM

You will need to change the springs, and Motor mount perches. Once you have that beast moving your going to have to stop it. So upgrade the brakes.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 05:04 PM

Hi. I did the swap in my 67 and found that the Motor mount perches are the same for small or big block. I think 68's might be different. As per assembly manual small block page 338 part#3904081-2, big block page 355 part#3904081-2. Just need different motor mounts. Hope that helps.

1967 Impala SS 427, M20, 373
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 08:45 AM

They changed all GM motor mounts in 1968 due to a national recall, because they used to break (separate). Starting in 1969 they went to an interlocking style but changed the dimensions of the motor mount (which means they changed the frame stands as well to match the new size). All motor mounts on big B-body cars are the same for small block or big block. They only use different frame stands on the Camaro and Nova to move a BBC around enough in the engine compartment enough to get it to fit.

If you look at Energy Suspension's motor mount web page they show the three different motor mounts used by Chevrolet and the dimmensions of each one. Most auto parts stores only stock the 1969 up style motor mount because it will fit when forced over the 1968 frame stand by spreading the mount (which causes the holes to misalign and draws the motor down out of alignment).

Big Dave
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 01:51 AM

If you have a 1967 Impala you will not need to worry about changing the perches period. Small block and big block are the same. Don't get involved in 68 and up, it has no bearing on your vehicle. Just get the correct motor mounts and you will be fine.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 09:50 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyetwinger View Post
If you have a 1967 Impala you will not need to worry about changing the perches period. Small block and big block are the same. Don't get involved in 68 and up, it has no bearing on your vehicle. Just get the correct motor mounts and you will be fine.
Problem arrises when you walk into a corner auto parts store. They only stock 1969-1972 style interlocking motor mounts and 1973 and up clam shell motor mounts. The parts guys look in the parts book because they have no idea what is needed to fit the car. In the book they make no distinction for pre 1969 cars. As far as the parts book is concerned one size fits all which is incorrect. That is why I tried to offer some information as to why he is finding it difficult to find the right parts.

Big Dave
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 10:11 AM

Hi. If you can wait a few days for delivery just order them online. Go to http://www.1955-75chevyautoparts.com/catalogpdfs/B3%2001%20engine.pdf scroll down past the engines and you will see a list of year and engine specific motor mounts. Order for 396/427. I have used this place and they will send you the right part, no guessing. Hope this helps you solve your problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page