Interiors Upholstery & Soft Trim

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Big Dave
  • 1 Post By Big Dave
  • 1 Post By Deadwolf

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Bucket seat tracks

So Iím converting a 69 bench seat car to a bucket seat car. There are different seat brackets available to weld in. Now if I used seat mounts from a chevelle and seat tracks from a chevelle could this work?

What are the big differences between the impala seat tracks and other gm cars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 02:56 PM

The Impala seat tracks fit the Impala floor pan, which is different from the Chevelle's floor pan.

You can use any car's seat track in your Impala to mount any matching car's seat if you are willing to weld up stands for them to fit (level side to side and front to rear) your cars floor plan. I liked to use Mercedes Benz seats and high back "Corinthian leather" Chrysler seats out of a 1970 Hemi Challenger in my old cars.

Big Dave
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 09:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Ditto Big Dave's comment ... from a discussion with my shop guy, he said the trick is going to be the measurement of the seats' width for the center "hump" clearance and still be able to close the door.

I'm considering replacing my bench with a pair of buckets and having the shop build me a console from the factory air vent all the way back.

Since the 61 didn't have seat belts, I'm favoring an "ISS" integrated seat belt system (I don't want to put a shoulder harness on the post) ... seems like the 03 Suburbans have those. Wondering how much fabrication would be necessary on the track-pan to install those?

1961 Impala. 4 door. 283, turbo 350. Imron Midnight blue metallic with silver stripe.

Photo Album

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 11:39 AM

Might also add every GM car shared the same body from October 1957 up. This was GM's better idea of having people pay Cadillac prices for a Chevy Impala. The only difference prior to 1973 was the motor under the hood was unique to the marquee Everybody had their own motor which differed from every one else's motor). After 1973 just about every car had a Chevy SBC V8 under the hood or a Buick V6.

The other big difference in the price point of the car was the standard trim level. As the car base price rose the number of standard trim and luxury items quality improved (Chevy had a wood grain vinyl trim dash decal, a Cadillac had real wood veneer that looked just like it). You could order all of the options that appeared upon a Cadillac in a Chevy but, it drove the price up higher if you tried to buy those parts on a Chevy instead of just buying a Caddy because you wanted that 283 cube Chevy motor rather than the 500 cube offered by Caddy in the same car body. (it was a OHV 331 Caddy engine that was sung about in the song "Hot Rod Lincoln" replacing the original 239 cube Mercury Flat Head to make those telephone poles look like a picket fence).

So that over stuffed pillow top Cadillac glove leather four way power seat will bolt right into your Impala. Or the powered split bench seat in crushed velour out of a Buick. Maybe you want a set of Sporty Buckets with a center console out of a Pontiac Parisian or a Bonneville 2+2 (same B-body car). Only the added two feet of interior room behind the driver's seat in a Cadillac Limo makes the car different in terms of the sheet metal and parts interchanging (Limo was a D-body), but the seats still fit.

Big Dave
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 03:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
amazing.

Thanks Big Dave.

I mentioned the Suburban because I've ridden a long distance in one of these seats ... I know they're comfortable and they have the seat belts built in.

1961 Impala. 4 door. 283, turbo 350. Imron Midnight blue metallic with silver stripe.

Photo Album
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaark92 View Post
amazing.

Thanks Big Dave.

I mentioned the Suburban because I've ridden a long distance in one of these seats ... I know they're comfortable and they have the seat belts built in.
And they are available in leather in the Cadillac Escalade ESV version of the Suburban (they have to justify that high price some how).

2018 Escalade SUV & ESV - Photo Gallery | Cadillac

Big Dave
shaark92 likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 03:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
the seat bottom height seems to be a problem for installing those GM truck seats. 9" is my current top of OEM bench seat bottom to floor pan ... the truck seats are 12" min. That big steering wheel doesn't allow for much variance ... so I'm gonna need a different bucket seat, I guess. may have to scratch the integrated seat belt preference.

Photo Album
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 05:04 PM

I salvaged a set of bucket seats out of a Mercedes Benz E190 and they were very comfy once welded in place. I understand from others comments on shopping that because of the tristar badge on the hood that the price for these seats is elevated higher than they charge for Toyota seats.

Big Dave
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 05:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
those went in one of our B Body Impalas, @Big Dave?

Photo Album
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 05:59 PM

I put them in a '71 Nova 2dr sdn that I built from a six banger granny car to a 620 cube street terror.

Big Dave
shaark92 likes this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedknuckle View Post
So Iím converting a 69 bench seat car to a bucket seat car. There are different seat brackets available to weld in. Now if I used seat mounts from a chevelle and seat tracks from a chevelle could this work?

What are the big differences between the impala seat tracks and other gm cars?

By 69 bucket seats in the Full Size B body cars were just not that popular. People wanted big cars to haul lots of people. Sporty buckets were put in the smaller cars like Chevelle's, Nova's, and Camaro's. Might want to look into more of a universal bucket seat track like what summit sells as they allow for a wide variety of bucket seats to mount to them. That way if your looking for something classic you could even go back and grab 64 bucket seats and install then or go with something more modern. Could even put in racing buckets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaark92 View Post
Ditto Big Dave's comment ... from a discussion with my shop guy, he said the trick is going to be the measurement of the seats' width for the center "hump" clearance and still be able to close the door.

I'm considering replacing my bench with a pair of buckets and having the shop build me a console from the factory air vent all the way back.

Since the 61 didn't have seat belts, I'm favoring an "ISS" integrated seat belt system (I don't want to put a shoulder harness on the post) ... seems like the 03 Suburbans have those. Wondering how much fabrication would be necessary on the track-pan to install those?
The remanufacture the seat tracks and floor mounting brackets for 63-64 Impalas. Considering the frame really didn't change much I would bet that those floor brackets would probably mount up with the least amount of specialize shade tree engineering. Me personally, I'm not a fan of seat belts and want the interior to look pretty much stock on my 63, so it will not be getting seat belts.
shaark92 likes this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 01:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
yeah ... I'm beginning to think ... keep the OEM bench with additional padding on the sides and middle ... find a console to sit in the middle with cupholders. Then a mini console custom built for the radio and trinket tray (phone)

Photo Album
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page