Impalas.net banner

1963 Impala Seat Belts

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Big Dave 
#1 ·
I would like to install seat belts in my 63 Impala. I would like them to look as stock as possible. Anyone have a picture of a stock belt?
Also who sell the closest to stock looking belt?

#2 ·
Seat belts were not mandated in 1963. My 63 doesn't have any provision for bolting them down on the floor, you have to drill you own holes and they make aftermarket anchor kits. I think seat belts were a dealer installed option at the time. Late 1965 was when seat belts were mandated in cars, as first run 1966 Impalas may not have seat belts. I've got no plans to add them to my 63 Impala.

#3 ·
They were a factory option though (or maybe just Dealer Installed as mentioned) and have their own unique Buckets and Emblems which I believe are 1 year only. The '64's seem to be very similar, but have a different Emblem on them. In my experiences anyway. Many times different plants had different parts. I'm sure there are Seat Belt experts out there. If no one jumps in here, try Chevytalk.

Reactions: gonzomn
#4 ·
As mentioned above Seat belts where first mandated by congress in 1961, but as usual congress was bought off to allow the factories five more years to implement. The anchor points where required to be installed in all cars starting in 1963. but the belts themselves were optional.

Because the insurance industries were offering a seat belt discount that more than paid for the seat belts and installation in the first year of owning the car. Many dealerships, as well as independent garages offered seat belts sourced form many sources to get the discount.

I personally wouldn't drive a car with out them. I have witnessed many people skewered by the steering column or passengers who went only half way through the windscreen in collisions (prompting great drivers ed films like "Blood on the Dash", but unfortunately they were all in black and white so the impact was lost).

I was even hit by flying fiberglass as a Corvette was hit nearly head one by a careless driver who was taking his armor plated Chrysler Newport to town who turned left in front of him. The driver had the steering wheel embedded about four inches into his chest. Needless to say he died at the scene. The Corvette was reduced to a motor and frame with the front half of the body exploding, while the Chrysler was merely dented.

The first car to have seat belts as standard equipment was produced in 1966. You can thank Volvo as they introduced seat belts to the car market as standard equipment in 1958.

Big Dave

#5 ·
I understand they were not standard on a 63. I have had seat belts in all my cars including a chopped 29 Ford 5 window hot rod. I will not let my grand kids ride in a car without seat belts.
It is not a question of if I will put them in or not, I just want to make sure what I get is as close a match to what was available from the factory in 63.

#6 ·
That is my point there were NO Factory installed Seat belts. They were a dealer installed option.

I think Paul or another member here has a copy of the accessories book that dealers had on their sales desk to allow owners to pick what style lap belt they wanted, what floor mats (vinyl plastic, coconut mat, or carpeted), What color trunk mat (grey or charcoal), any chromed engine parts they wanted installed, etc. It was a forty or so page color catalog with drawings illustrating the parts available to install on their new cxar purchase as part of the "dealer Prep" charge they were going to include any way.

So what ever you find is exactly what the factory installed; and it will be period correct.

Big Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.