Impalas.net banner

Firewall Pad Installation

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Big Dave 
#1 ·
Getting ready to install this pad in my 68 non A/C vert. Presently it has none since I had it. I have all 3 manuals and none shows in detail what if anything needs to be removed from firewall like heater box or bulkhead connector. Any tips and help here is appreciated as always in here!

#2 ·
Only the Assembly manual could tell you for certain.i In addition to the pretty pictures; it describes the procedure for every parts installation in sequential order. And the sheets are numbered so that the first part to be installed has the lowest number. As such the first page found is the lowest part (first part installed) when going from the front to the back).

Big Dave

#3 ·
I have never done one on a 68 so I can only speculate. I will say that the biggest challenge I can imagine will be to get it around any existing heater box installed. But if you remove as much as possible (glove box, etc.) you may be able to squeeze it over the heater box and then with a screw driver snug it up behind the heater box.

Also, many of the replacement firewall pad/insulators don't always line up with the holes, and the clips tend to not work so well and be difficult to push through. My guess is there is some sweat in your foreseeable future but patience and perseverance will be your friend.

#4 ·
Ugh. I have the same car and I've contemplated replacing the dash pad but just looking under the dash it seems like an absolute nightmare. I have shop vac'd most of the existing one out as it is pretty much falling apart at this point. I think I'm going to wait until I take the body off the frame. Would be interested to know how you do it if successful.

#5 · (Edited)
I have a thread on here from when I did my 66 heater core replacement and ended up removing the dusty old firewall pad and replacing with new sound deadener.

It would be easier to do without the heater core in the way, but I vote for not overthinking it.
It's all the wiring and cabling and pedals that is the real pita. It's just tedious to get the pad around all those little things.
Not sure if you have the attaching push-in retainer things but I don't see any reason you couldn't make this work with 3m spray adhesive and some scissors.

Here's my old thread on my effort: https://www.impalas.net/forums/2-general-tech/32674-nasty-job.html
*From one of the pictures, it looks like the firewall pad lip is actually under the heater-core box.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Another related question. I see some suppliers advertise these pads for 65-67 as one price then 68-70 as another (usually more) , other vendors advertise 65-70. Is this just a way of cashing in on the less popular 68-70's. Are 65-70 non AC pads the same?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.