Impalas.net banner

67 Fastback Rear Seat Cover

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  67OLDS88 
#1 ·
Greetings fellow B body enthusiasts. Although I share your appreciation for late 1960’s Chevrolet full-size iron, as you can tell from my User Name I relive my youth in a slightly different way - via a 1967 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Custom. For those of you not familiar, this is the 2-door Fastback model very similar to the Impala Sport Coupes of the same vintage. However, with only a little over 12,000 units produced that model year it is impossible to source model-specific reproduction parts. That I why I am here. With many more Impalas sold there is a vast array of restoration/repair parts available, so I need some information or advice. I would like to freshen up my interior with new seat covers (Strato Buckets front, conventional bench seat rear) but can’t justify the expense of custom stitched upholstery. Can anyone share the rear seat dimensions (bottom cushion and seat back) from a 1967 Impala Sport Coupe (Fastback) with me so I can compare them to the rear seat in my Olds? From viewing many Impala photographs, it appears that except for differences in the upholstery patterns, the seats are identical. In fact, I find the 1967 Impala pattern far more attractive than the OEM Olds. I am hoping to use the pre-made seat covers for a 1967 Impala SS from PUI to replace the worn-out ones in my Delta 88. The front should be no problem as the Strato Buckets were common across the full-size cars, but I can’t find any definitive information on the interchangeability of the rear seats. PUI was non-committal when I called them, and my upholstery guy can’t say for sure either. I really don’t want to get half-way into a project only to find out I guessed wrong. That is why I am hoping someone here can share some accurate actual Impala rear seat dimensions or knows with some degree of certainty that the rear seats (cushions and backs) in the various mid/late 60’s GM fastback B bodies (Impala, Delta Custom/Delmont 88 Sport Coupe, LeSabre Sport Coupe, Catalina Sport Coupe, etc.) are the same size spring frame in a given model year. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you for the nice welcome Big Dave. Yes, I too think the '67 Olds fastback rear seats are the same as the '67 Impala fastback rear seats. I am hoping some kind forum reader has or is willing to measure their own rear seat cushions and share the info so I can pull the trigger on ordering new covers for summer cruising season.

#5 ·
Oldcarguy, thank you so much for your offer to measure and share. It will help immensely. My upholstery guy says I need the WIDTH and HEIGHT of the seat back, the WIDTH and DEPTH (from seat back to front edge) of the seat cushion (part you sit on), and the HEIGHT of the skirt (from top edge of seat cushion down to the bottom where it meets the floor pan) to verify the reproduction Impala covers will work for my Olds. Does not need to be exact - to the nearest whole inch is fine. I am attaching some photos of my back seat for visual reference. Many thanks, Dave (67OLDS88).

Attachments

#6 ·
Sorry about the delay in replying. I will send you our findings as soon as possible, the car is in storage and I am sure the winters in Ohio have been as severe as they have been here restricting our time to clear a path to our garage. They don't expect the temperature to rise above freezing for all of next week and I am well into old age...lol...hopefully sometime next week we will be able to sent you the dimensions.

#7 ·
No problem Oldcarguy, your willingness to help is deeply appreciated. I would much rather have it right than have it fast. Yes, winter has been rough here in southwestern Ohio but not as severe as yours. I grew up in Chicago so can empathize with snow and seemingly endless weeks of sub-freezing temperatures. Be safe and stay warm.

#9 ·
67SS, thanks for the suggestion. I agree ClassicOldsmobile.com is a great, lively forum. I am indeed a member. Incredibly knowledgeable and helpful folks. My inquiries there generally support my belief that the rear seats in the late 60s GM B body fastbacks (Impala, Catalina, Delta/Delmont, and Wildcat) are common in a given model year with the only differences being the colors and patterns of the covers. However, I have yet to discover anyone who has actually tried to use "other" B body covers in a Delta 88. I am willing to be the guinea pig but am wary of going all in and winding up with a mess on my hands. That is why I was hoping someone here had or was willing to take some actual real works measurements from a non-Olds rear seat. That should pretty much tell the tale one way or the other. I tried contacting PUI directly but they did not respond to my email. I am assuming they are reluctant to get in the middle of an "off label" project such as I propose. I also tried a Pontiac forum (Catalina) but unlike here and at ClassicOldsmobile, they were something less than welcoming.

#10 ·
I never changed the seat covers, but I have replaced my Impala interior with one out of the same year Buick Electra 225. Bolted up once I changed out the wiring harness. Went from a economy rubber mat taxi cab to a luxury B-body in a week. Did the same with my wife's 9C1 Caprice cop car that I upgraded with a Delta 98 interior.

Big Dave

#11 ·
Hey 67 Oldsguy

Here is what I measured on my 68 fastback.

Height & width of seat back 24" 55"

Width & Depth of seat cushion 55" 23-24" deep

Height of seat cushion 7.5" from top seam to bottom of seat

Hope this helps and if you need additional measurements just let me know. I'm in Charlotte, NC and its 65 degrees here today. HAHHAAAA

#12 ·
gnfast87 - you are the man! Thank you for the seat measurements. Sorry for not replying sooner but I was out of town the past two days.

I believe your '68 fastback rear sear does not have the speaker grille in the upper center as '67 was the last year for that (at least with the Olds fastbacks). Is this correct for Impalas too? Also, all of your measurements are within a 1/2 inch of my measurements (YEA !) except for the seat cushion depth. Mine is only (approximately) 18 - 19 inches from where the cushion meets the seat back to the piping on the front edge whereas you indicate a measurement of 24 inches. That seems like a huge difference given the similarities of all the other measurements. Are you certain of the dimension?

I am always jealous of you warm climate car guys - getting to enjoy your rides almost year round.

Dave

#14 ·
Ya, the 68 doesn't have anything in the center of the seatback.

Also, when I popped the bottom seat cushion back in and measured the seat it was 19"
The first time I measured it it was out of the car. Sounds like the Chevy stuff will work!

Good luck and let me know if you need any information.

Brian

#16 ·
gnfast87: Super. Thanks so much for confirming the measurements. It is easy to assume the 60s B body interiors share the same basic structure between GM divisions but having real world, first hand confirmation is a big help and big relief. I will document the work as best I can and report back on the outcome. Best regards, Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.